Old 31-07-2007, 09:15 AM posted to rec.gardens
Jan Flora Jan Flora is offline

Default When to plant for fall crops?

In article ,
"Ook" Ook Don't send me any freakin' spam at zootal dot com delete
the Don't send me any freakin' spam wrote:

I would like to put in some late cabbages and potatoes (and maybe a few root
veggies) for fall crops. I live in the mid Willamette Valley, south of Salem
Oregon. Does anyone know when I should actually plant cabbages? The only
info I could find was to plant "during the heat of mid-summer". That is a
big fuzzy - I'm guessing towards the end of August?

And, how about potatoes? Is August too late to plant them for fall/winter
crop?

If you know any Old Believers to talk to, ask them. They'll know.

The village next door to our ranch is OB's who came from the W. Valley
(by way of China, Turkey, Brazil, etc.). When the gals in the village
plant their spuds & cabbage, I plant.

Before the Russians moved here, all of the homestead women said you
couldn't grow raspberries here, because our elevation is too high.
The Russians moved in. They all planted huge sections of their yards
to raspberries. The plants made huge crops. Who knew? Now everyone
grows raspberries : )

Jan, near Vosnesenka, Alaska