Old 31-07-2007, 03:48 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Hal[_1_] Hal[_1_] is offline

Default Winte rin Chicago

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 22:24:38 CST, chatnoir
wrote:

http://www.simetric.co.uk/si_water.htm

So would water near freezing temperatures, leaving a layer of water
close to 4C (39F), it being more dense.

Regards,

Hal

So, you have actually measured this temperature in the bottom of your
pond in winter? What was its thickness?

Actually yes!
I don't have a problem in winter so I never tried to measure the
thickness of the layer, but I've spent enough time swimming I know
layers are often found in bodies of water not disturbed by pumps, and
sometime even in oceans where I dived.

However, my pond 82.8F degrees this morning. I have a thermometer
pick up on the bottom with a remote sending device to a receiver on my
desk. The actual thickness of the layer is most likely full depth
today, but if I wanted to know I could go out and raise the sensor and
take readings.

Regards,

Hal