Old 31-07-2007, 07:37 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Winte rin Chicago

when the ground is not frozen, then the water soaks up ground heat all
winter and jetting thaws top. moving water is harder to freeze than
still water. covering the pond keeps the warm water that wants to
evaporate in the pond and keeps the pond much warmer. if I JUST kept
my pond covered and a little jet going the water would not freeze at
all. Ingrid

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 04:55:14 CST, chatnoir
They say such keeps there from being an insulating
layers of warm water in the bottom of the pond! Would like the Myth
Busters to test out that theory Since warm water would rise! Anyway,
I mix the water all winter! It keeps a hole over the filter jetting
water up even during the coldest spells! Used a heater one year. It
sprung some kind of leak and leaked into the pond! Don't trust them!