Old 31-07-2007, 09:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pam Moore Pam Moore is offline

Default Fig and Passion fruit

On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 22:20:34 +0200, "David \(Normandy\)"
wrote:

Can figs be grown from the seed of supermarket figs? I set some such seeds
this spring but nothing has come up.

There is a huge fig tree growing in the mud on the bank of the river
Avon in central Bristol. It is reputed to have grown from a seed in
the sewage which once filled the river. (It's none too clean now
either). I walk past it once a month. Two months ago the tree was
laden with green figs. One month ago not one fig was left. The birds
(pigeons abound) can't have had much fig taste from such green fruit.
Mine on my potted plant have not changed shape for ages. Need more of
the sunshine of the last few days.

Pam in Bristol