Old 31-07-2007, 02:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Fig and Passion fruit

Ate my first fig and passion fruit from respectively the garden and the
greenhouse yesterday :~))))
--
Jenny (the Netherlands)
remove squirrel to reply

Old 31-07-2007, 04:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"JennyC" wrote in message
Ate my first fig and passion fruit from respectively the garden and the
greenhouse yesterday :~))))
--
Jenny (the Netherlands)
remove squirrel to reply

Wonderful, we are eating our outdoor figs and after the mild winter and the
rain they are enormous and juicy

Old 31-07-2007, 05:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Hi..

Ate my first fig and passion fruit from respectively the
garden and the greenhouse yesterday :~))))

Have been thinking about figs since 2005 but I thought it
were a fairy-tale that they would grow in Central Europe.
How long do you cultivate it and what are your experiences
in winter..?

BTW: Did a Google search and found this:
http://www.baumschule-plattner.de/en/index.htm
Now I know what will happen..! :-)

--
cu
Marco
Old 31-07-2007, 05:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Marco Schwarz" wrote in message
Hi..

Ate my first fig and passion fruit from respectively the
garden and the greenhouse yesterday :~))))

Have been thinking about figs since 2005 but I thought it
were a fairy-tale that they would grow in Central Europe.
How long do you cultivate it and what are your experiences
in winter..?

I have mine in a LARGE pot on my roof garden. It comes throught the winter
without any protection. I think it would even better if it were in the soil.
Picture of it on my home page (bottom of the page behind the chairs)
http://www.ljconline.nl/garden/gardenroof.htm

The passion fruit was a complete surprise when it started producing fruit
this year! I orgininaly grew it for the flowers :~))

BTW: Did a Google search and found this:
http://www.baumschule-plattner.de/en/index.htm
Now I know what will happen..! :-)
Marco

Try one and see how you get on :~)
Jenny

Old 31-07-2007, 05:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Marco Schwarz writes:

| Have been thinking about figs since 2005 but I thought it
| were a fairy-tale that they would grow in Central Europe.
| How long do you cultivate it and what are your experiences
| in winter..?

Winter isn't the main problem - they are fairly hardy, and will
regrow from their roots even if cut down by a hard frost. The
killer is the lack of a decent summer.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 31-07-2007, 06:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"JennyC" wrote in message

[...]

Which Passion fruit Jenny? We have been eating P antioquiensis fruit for a
few weeks now but they take ages to ripen, but are rather nice, its one of
the banana passion fruits and has elongated fruits.

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 31-07-2007, 07:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"JennyC" wrote in message
Ate my first fig and passion fruit from respectively the garden and the
greenhouse yesterday :~))))

Hrumph.

You can go right off some people :-(

Mary

Old 31-07-2007, 09:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"JennyC" wrote in message
Ate my first fig and passion fruit from respectively the garden and the
greenhouse yesterday :~))))
--
Jenny (the Netherlands)
remove squirrel to reply

Can figs be grown from the seed of supermarket figs? I set some such seeds
this spring but nothing has come up.

David.

Old 31-07-2007, 09:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 22:20:34 +0200, "David \(Normandy\)"
wrote:

Can figs be grown from the seed of supermarket figs? I set some such seeds
this spring but nothing has come up.

There is a huge fig tree growing in the mud on the bank of the river
Avon in central Bristol. It is reputed to have grown from a seed in
the sewage which once filled the river. (It's none too clean now
either). I walk past it once a month. Two months ago the tree was
laden with green figs. One month ago not one fig was left. The birds
(pigeons abound) can't have had much fig taste from such green fruit.
Mine on my potted plant have not changed shape for ages. Need more of
the sunshine of the last few days.

Pam in Bristol
Old 31-07-2007, 10:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David (Normandy)" wrote in message

"JennyC" wrote in message
Ate my first fig and passion fruit from respectively the garden and the
greenhouse yesterday :~))))
--
Jenny (the Netherlands)
remove squirrel to reply

Can figs be grown from the seed of supermarket figs? I set some such seeds
this spring but nothing has come up.

David.

The plants will grow fine but normally are poor croppers.

Old 01-08-2007, 04:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Hi..

I have mine in a LARGE pot on my roof garden. It comes
throught the winter without any protection. I think it
would even better if it were in the soil.

Good to know, thanks..

Picture of it on
my home page (bottom of the page behind the chairs)
http://www.ljconline.nl/garden/gardenroof.htm

Love that city garden style..!

The passion fruit was a complete surprise when it started
producing fruit this year! I orgininaly grew it for the
flowers :~))

Must confess that I haven't ever eaten any passion fruit
now..

[...Bavarian fig...]
Try one and see how you get on :~)

Yes, I will. One, two, three or so.. :-)

--
cu
Marco
Old 01-08-2007, 09:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Charlie Pridham" wrote
"JennyC" wrote

Which Passion fruit Jenny? We have been eating P antioquiensis fruit for a
few weeks now but they take ages to ripen, but are rather nice, its one of
the banana passion fruits and has elongated fruits.
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall

I don't know the name Charlie ! It was a cutting I got while working as a
volunteer in the nursery of the Rotterdam Zoo. They grow loads of different
types of passionflower plants for the butterfly house - the caterpillars eat
them :~))

I've put a couple if pictures he
http://www.ljconline.nl/garden/oddsandsods.htm

Maybe you can identify it ?
Jenny

Old 01-08-2007, 10:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"JennyC" wrote in message

"Charlie Pridham" wrote
"JennyC" wrote

Which Passion fruit Jenny? We have been eating P antioquiensis fruit for

few weeks now but they take ages to ripen, but are rather nice, its one

of
the banana passion fruits and has elongated fruits.
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall

I don't know the name Charlie ! It was a cutting I got while working as a
volunteer in the nursery of the Rotterdam Zoo. They grow loads of

different
types of passionflower plants for the butterfly house - the caterpillars

eat
them :~))

I've put a couple if pictures he
http://www.ljconline.nl/garden/oddsandsods.htm