Old 01-08-2007, 11:37 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Pat Kiewicz Pat Kiewicz is offline

Default What kind of squash is this?

Daniel Prince said:

Please look at these pictures and tell me what kind of squash is
this? It is a volunteer.

http://img114.imageshack.us/my.php?i...ict0955cp6.jpg
http://img116.imageshack.us/my.php?i...ict0952as9.jpg

Hard to tell without a better look at the stem and blossom end.

I think it might be some sort of Cucurbita maxima squash. If so,
its stem would look more rounded and not so obviously five-sided.
The blossom end might have a bit of a 'button' on it.

C. maxima squashes include hubbard, buttercup, turk's turban
and kabocha types as well as some varieties that are marketed
as 'pumpkins' (including 'white' pumpkins and the Aussie 'blue'
pumpkins).

Cushaws, which the other poster mentioned, have a stem end
with five sides and very often the fruit is 'necked' like a butternut.
They generally have a flat, smooth blossom end scar.

(attributed to Don Marti)