Old 31-07-2007, 08:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default What kind of squash is this?

Please look at these pictures and tell me what kind of squash is
this? It is a volunteer.

http://img114.imageshack.us/my.php?i...ict0955cp6.jpg
http://img116.imageshack.us/my.php?i...ict0952as9.jpg
--
Whenever I hear or think of the song "Great green gobs of greasy
grimey gopher guts" I imagine my cat saying; "That sounds REALLY,
Old 31-07-2007, 10:13 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Daniel Prince wrote:
Please look at these pictures and tell me what kind of squash is
this? It is a volunteer.

http://img114.imageshack.us/my.php?i...ict0955cp6.jpg
http://img116.imageshack.us/my.php?i...ict0952as9.jpg

Looks to be a cushaw or green-striped pumpkin. Get rather large and have
orange or yellowish-green meat?

George

Old 01-08-2007, 11:37 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Daniel Prince said:

Please look at these pictures and tell me what kind of squash is
this? It is a volunteer.

http://img114.imageshack.us/my.php?i...ict0955cp6.jpg
http://img116.imageshack.us/my.php?i...ict0952as9.jpg

Hard to tell without a better look at the stem and blossom end.

I think it might be some sort of Cucurbita maxima squash. If so,
its stem would look more rounded and not so obviously five-sided.
The blossom end might have a bit of a 'button' on it.

C. maxima squashes include hubbard, buttercup, turk's turban
and kabocha types as well as some varieties that are marketed
as 'pumpkins' (including 'white' pumpkins and the Aussie 'blue'
pumpkins).

Cushaws, which the other poster mentioned, have a stem end
with five sides and very often the fruit is 'necked' like a butternut.
They generally have a flat, smooth blossom end scar.

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 01-08-2007, 12:54 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 12:29:33 -0700, Daniel Prince
wrote:

Please look at these pictures and tell me what kind of squash is
this? It is a volunteer.

http://img114.imageshack.us/my.php?i...ict0955cp6.jpg
http://img116.imageshack.us/my.php?i...ict0952as9.jpg

If it is a volunteer, what squashes did you plant in that area last
year? We have had some very interesting squash from the ones that got
tossed in previous years.
--
Susan N.

Old 12-08-2007, 09:21 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Has anyone considered that the squash leaves appear very like it could be a
melon? Birds are great for planting volunteers.

Are there virus resistant squash seeds? Virus killing my squash! goldtech Gardening 10 12-04-2013 01:16 PM
Butternut Squash Natalie United Kingdom 30 17-05-2003 10:44 AM
Squash growing Jayne Edible Gardening 6 10-05-2003 06:32 PM
Maclura pomifera (osage orange) dispersal (was squash dispersal) David Hershey Plant Science 0 26-04-2003 01:22 PM
squash dispersal Monique Reed Plant Science 0 26-04-2003 01:22 PM