Old 01-08-2007, 04:42 PM posted to rec.gardens
Kay Lancaster Kay Lancaster is offline

Default Plant ID wanted-- little information

On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 23:15:02 -0400, Darren Garrison wrote:
On 1 Aug 2007 02:42:04 GMT, Kay Lancaster wrote:

http://webpages.charter.net/garrison...p/MVC-008S.JPG

Reminds me of one of the Bulbophyllum orchids.

You did have the proper import permits for this, right?
And your friend had the export permits?

No. Should I need them? For a houseplant? Didn't have them for the Ginkgo,
Yuzu, or Persimmon seeds he sent either. Or one other Japanese plant he sent, I
think he called it "kudzu"? I didn't need those, so I just sprinkled them
around in the woods.

Yes, you do need them. And a CITES permit, too, if it's an orchid.
The regulations are there to help prevent accidental import of diseases,
insects, and other pests, and to help with endangered species.

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/import_exp...ts/index.shtml
http://www.aphis.usda.gov/plant_heal...products.shtml

Accidentally introducing a pest by casual imports of un-inspected goods
can be biologically and economically devastating. Asian longhorn beetle,
Dutch Elm disease, Striga asiatica, Medfly... they were all accidental
introductions.