Old 31-07-2007, 05:37 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Plant ID wanted-- little information

A friend in Tokyo recently sent me a batch of seeds, and included a few bulblets
from a plant at first he called a lily, but then said he doesn't know the name
of. The bulblets are green, about the size of a dime, and it is hard to tell
the top from the bottom. He told me to plant them on the surface of moist soil,
but not push them in or cover them. He sent this photo of the mother plant,
with various sizes of smaller plants around it, including some of the green
bulblets.

http://webpages.charter.net/garrison...p/MVC-008S.JPG

ANY ideas?

Old 31-07-2007, 06:29 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 17:51:26 +0100, Janet Baraclough
wrote:

http://webpages.charter.net/garrison...p/MVC-008S.JPG

ANY ideas?

Looks like some kind of tropical orchid. Does he grow it indoors or out?

Outside. He told me:

"The bulblets might do best in a pot that can be
shaded during the hot part of the day and during
winter bring indoors or on the porch; they survive
Tokyo winters..."

Old 01-08-2007, 03:42 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 12:37:33 -0400, Darren Garrison wrote:
A friend in Tokyo recently sent me a batch of seeds, and included a few bulblets
from a plant at first he called a lily, but then said he doesn't know the name
of. The bulblets are green, about the size of a dime, and it is hard to tell
the top from the bottom. He told me to plant them on the surface of moist soil,
but not push them in or cover them. He sent this photo of the mother plant,
with various sizes of smaller plants around it, including some of the green
bulblets.

http://webpages.charter.net/garrison...p/MVC-008S.JPG

Reminds me of one of the Bulbophyllum orchids.

You did have the proper import permits for this, right?
And your friend had the export permits?

Kay

Old 01-08-2007, 04:15 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 1 Aug 2007 02:42:04 GMT, Kay Lancaster wrote:

http://webpages.charter.net/garrison...p/MVC-008S.JPG

Reminds me of one of the Bulbophyllum orchids.

You did have the proper import permits for this, right?
And your friend had the export permits?

No. Should I need them? For a houseplant? Didn't have them for the Ginkgo,
Yuzu, or Persimmon seeds he sent either. Or one other Japanese plant he sent, I
think he called it "kudzu"? I didn't need those, so I just sprinkled them
around in the woods.

Old 01-08-2007, 04:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 23:15:02 -0400, Darren Garrison wrote:
On 1 Aug 2007 02:42:04 GMT, Kay Lancaster wrote:

http://webpages.charter.net/garrison...p/MVC-008S.JPG

Reminds me of one of the Bulbophyllum orchids.

You did have the proper import permits for this, right?
And your friend had the export permits?

No. Should I need them? For a houseplant? Didn't have them for the Ginkgo,
Yuzu, or Persimmon seeds he sent either. Or one other Japanese plant he sent, I
think he called it "kudzu"? I didn't need those, so I just sprinkled them
around in the woods.

Yes, you do need them. And a CITES permit, too, if it's an orchid.
The regulations are there to help prevent accidental import of diseases,
insects, and other pests, and to help with endangered species.

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/import_exp...ts/index.shtml
http://www.aphis.usda.gov/plant_heal...products.shtml

Accidentally introducing a pest by casual imports of un-inspected goods
can be biologically and economically devastating. Asian longhorn beetle,
Dutch Elm disease, Striga asiatica, Medfly... they were all accidental
introductions.

Old 01-08-2007, 05:19 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Kay Lancaster" wrote:
Darren Garrison wrote:
Kay Lancaster wrote:

[...]

Just wait until that Kudzu takes over the woods.

Seahag

Old 01-08-2007, 10:27 PM posted to rec.gardens

http://webpages.charter.net/garrison...p/MVC-008S.JPG

Someone in the sci.bio.botany group had the answer for me:

http://images.google.com/images?hl=e...&sa=N&tab =wi

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...&sa=N&tab =iw

Old 12-08-2007, 01:49 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

A friend in Tokyo recently sent me a batch of seeds, and included a few bulblets
from a plant at first he called a lily, but then said he doesn't know the name
of. The bulblets are green, about the size of a dime, and it is hard to tell
the top from the bottom. He told me to plant them on the surface of moist soil,
but not push them in or cover them. He sent this photo of the mother plant,
with various sizes of smaller plants around it, including some of the green
bulblets.

http://webpages.charter.net/garrison...p/MVC-008S.JPG

ANY ideas?

Ornithogalum caudatum