Old 01-08-2007, 09:09 PM posted to rec.gardens
David E. Ross David E. Ross is offline

Default Zygocactus

On 8/1/2007 11:34 AM, Phisherman wrote:
This year all my zygocactus rotted at the base. I took the stems that
fell from the plants and these are beginning to root. I know that
these plants will rot if left wet, and although I had all of them in
clay pots (no saucers) resting on sticks for quick drainage the
plants' roots rotted. They were put on my deck with brief morning
sun. How often should these plants be watered in summer? Is
cactus/succulent mix the best potting soil? Should I drill additional
holes in the clay pots?

Try my do-it-yourself potting mix. See
http://www.rossde.com/garden/garden_potting_mix.html. Change the
ratio to 3 parts coarse sand to 2 parts peat most instead of equal parts
of each. This will drain very quickly yet remain sufficiently moist for
tropical cactus (which includes zygocactus). Also, the peat most
inhibits rot.

--

David E. Ross
http://www.rossde.com/.

Don't ask "Why is there road rage?" Instead, ask
"Why NOT Road Rage?" or "Why Is There No Such
Thing as Fast Enough?"
http://www.rossde.com/roadrage.html