Old 01-08-2007, 07:34 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Zygocactus

This year all my zygocactus rotted at the base. I took the stems that
fell from the plants and these are beginning to root. I know that
these plants will rot if left wet, and although I had all of them in
clay pots (no saucers) resting on sticks for quick drainage the
plants' roots rotted. They were put on my deck with brief morning
sun. How often should these plants be watered in summer? Is
cactus/succulent mix the best potting soil? Should I drill additional
holes in the clay pots?
Old 01-08-2007, 09:09 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 8/1/2007 11:34 AM, Phisherman wrote:
This year all my zygocactus rotted at the base. I took the stems that
fell from the plants and these are beginning to root. I know that
these plants will rot if left wet, and although I had all of them in
clay pots (no saucers) resting on sticks for quick drainage the
plants' roots rotted. They were put on my deck with brief morning
sun. How often should these plants be watered in summer? Is
cactus/succulent mix the best potting soil? Should I drill additional
holes in the clay pots?

Try my do-it-yourself potting mix. See
http://www.rossde.com/garden/garden_potting_mix.html. Change the
ratio to 3 parts coarse sand to 2 parts peat most instead of equal parts
of each. This will drain very quickly yet remain sufficiently moist for
tropical cactus (which includes zygocactus). Also, the peat most
inhibits rot.

--

David E. Ross
http://www.rossde.com/.

Don't ask "Why is there road rage?" Instead, ask
"Why NOT Road Rage?" or "Why Is There No Such
Thing as Fast Enough?"
http://www.rossde.com/roadrage.html
Old 02-08-2007, 12:42 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 2007-08-01 14:34:56 -0400, Phisherman said:

This year all my zygocactus rotted at the base. I took the stems that
fell from the plants and these are beginning to root. I know that
these plants will rot if left wet, and although I had all of them in
clay pots (no saucers) resting on sticks for quick drainage the
plants' roots rotted. They were put on my deck with brief morning
sun. How often should these plants be watered in summer? Is
cactus/succulent mix the best potting soil? Should I drill additional
holes in the clay pots?

Let soil dry out then water well. Also, My mix is 50% potting soil, 50%
perlite for drainage/aireation. We don't know what soil you're using
so that would help us.

Old 02-08-2007, 01:30 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Aug 1, 2:34 pm, Phisherman wrote:
This year all my zygocactus rotted at the base. I took the stems that
fell from the plants and these are beginning to root. I know that
these plants will rot if left wet, and although I had all of them in
clay pots (no saucers) resting on sticks for quick drainage the
plants' roots rotted. They were put on my deck with brief morning
sun. How often should these plants be watered in summer? Is
cactus/succulent mix the best potting soil? Should I drill additional
holes in the clay pots?

For cactus/succulent, you should water them when their soild is dry.
You can test it by puting chopstick into the pot. If the soil is wet,
there should be some soil going along with the chopstick.

Actually, the clay pot has only one pot and that is enough. Maybe the
soild mix causes trouble. You may change soil remix and mix more
sand. Sometimes, I use the top soil mixing with sand, small stones,
some fertilizer and dry leaves.

Fact and Information about cactus & succulent and another plant :
http://cactuslover.blogspot.com

Old 02-08-2007, 12:03 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Wed, 1 Aug 2007 19:42:21 -0400, Johnny Borborigmi

On 2007-08-01 14:34:56 -0400, Phisherman said:

This year all my zygocactus rotted at the base. I took the stems that
fell from the plants and these are beginning to root. I know that
these plants will rot if left wet, and although I had all of them in
clay pots (no saucers) resting on sticks for quick drainage the
plants' roots rotted. They were put on my deck with brief morning
sun. How often should these plants be watered in summer? Is
cactus/succulent mix the best potting soil? Should I drill additional
holes in the clay pots?

Let soil dry out then water well. Also, My mix is 50% potting soil, 50%
perlite for drainage/aireation. We don't know what soil you're using
so that would help us.

The potting mix used for the zygocactus was either Hyponex or Miracle
Gro cactus/succulent mix. Perhaps I should have added some perlite.
Some of the plants were well-established, others just potted, but they
all died. We had a period of daily rain which I think caused the
rot, so I'm thinking these plants need to be under sheltered
protection rather than an open deck.

Old 02-08-2007, 06:10 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 8/1/2007 5:30 PM, O My Garden wrote [in part]:
On Aug 1, 2:34 pm, Phisherman wrote:
This year all my zygocactus rotted at the base. I took the stems that
fell from the plants and these are beginning to root. I know that
these plants will rot if left wet, and although I had all of them in
clay pots (no saucers) resting on sticks for quick drainage the
plants' roots rotted. They were put on my deck with brief morning
sun. How often should these plants be watered in summer? Is
cactus/succulent mix the best potting soil? Should I drill additional
holes in the clay pots?

For cactus/succulent, you should water them when their soild is dry.
You can test it by puting chopstick into the pot. If the soil is wet,
there should be some soil going along with the chopstick.

Zygocatus (Schlumbergera species) are tropical cactus, as are orchid
cactus (Epiphyllum). Both thrive on more moisture than desert cactus.
Do not allow these to become completely dry.

Like many plants, however, they cannot tolerate wet soil. There is a
significant difference between "wet" and "moist". You can actually
squeeze water out of wet soil. Moist soil feels damp but has no free
water.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
Old 02-08-2007, 09:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Thu, 02 Aug 2007 10:10:33 -0700, "David E. Ross"
wrote:

[...]

I also have two different kinds of orchid cactus, potted in the same
type soil as the zygocactus. The orchid cactus seems to be growing
exceptionally fast, no rot there as with the zygocactus. I had a
friend who lost her Christmas cactus due to the plant having "wet
feet" in a water-filled saucer--something zygocactus can not easily
tolerate. In the past I have left my zygocactus go dry after
blooming, a time when they rest. Also I'm beginning to believe they
resent being moved, fertilized or fussed.