Old 02-08-2007, 12:37 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Tomes Tomes is offline

Default Honest opinions please,

"willshak" ...
Tomes :
"willshak" om...
Tomes :
"willshak" ...
Tomes :
Me too. I like the lift system, looks easy once it is set up.
Gotta have that cross-piece though. I also remove my mower deck to
work on the blades, but on my JD it takes me about 2 minutes, easy
as cake. You also need to drink that beer.

My Murray deck takes about 15 minutes to remove, with or without
beer. :-)

On the JD it is turn the deck wheels sideways, lower the deck, pull
the J-pins holding up the rear, unhook the front bracket, remove the
belt that is now loose and roll it out sideways. That is all there
is. Putting it back on takes maybe 3 minutes. What else do you need
to do?
Tomes

Lay on the ground. Remove 6 (bobby) pins. 1 for the front hanger rod
pin (then pull;the 8" rod out). 4 pins (2 each side) holding torsion
rods and hangers (some require the use of pliers because they are not
readily accessible to hands), 1 pin for the mower actuator rod. Remove
drive belt. Turn the steering wheel to left fully and angle the deck
to be able to slide it out between the front and rear wheels, which
would not fit if slid straight out. The deck wheels do not swivel.

Yow. I guess this is what I get for going with the JD. Glad I did.
Tomes

I have to do this routine twice a year. Remove the mower deck in the
late fall to be able to mount the snowblower attachment, which is even
more of a task since the tractor has to be elevated a bit to slide the
very heavy snowblower frame under the tractor. Then in the spring,
reverse the procedure. I guess the best thing about this (or the worst,
however you look at it) is that I have been doing it for about 12 years
with the same tractor, mower, and snowblower attachment.

I go through this too in as the winter snows arrive, also for the past 12
years or so. Sometimes I can go through the winter without putting on the
snowblower. I keep the blower in the shed, tipped up out of the way. I
drive in, slide the mowing deck out sideways and tip that up on its side
against the wall. Then I back out. I then tip the blower back down and
drive back up over it and hook it up using many of the same spring clips
as well as a couple of other relatively simple connections. It is usually
really cold when I do this =).
Tomes