Old 23-07-2007, 07:44 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Honest opinions please,

on 7/23/2007 11:05 AM Tomes said the following:
"willshak" ...

Tomes :

Me too. I like the lift system, looks easy once it is set up. Gotta
have that cross-piece though. I also remove my mower deck to work on
the blades, but on my JD it takes me about 2 minutes, easy as cake.
You also need to drink that beer.

My Murray deck takes about 15 minutes to remove, with or without beer.
:-)

On the JD it is turn the deck wheels sideways, lower the deck, pull the
J-pins holding up the rear, unhook the front bracket, remove the belt that
is now loose and roll it out sideways. That is all there is. Putting it
back on takes maybe 3 minutes. What else do you need to do?
Tomes

Lay on the ground. Remove 6 (bobby) pins. 1 for the front hanger rod pin
(then pull;the 8" rod out). 4 pins (2 each side) holding torsion rods
and hangers (some require the use of pliers because they are not readily
accessible to hands), 1 pin for the mower actuator rod. Remove drive
belt. Turn the steering wheel to left fully and angle the deck to be
able to slide it out between the front and rear wheels, which would not
fit if slid straight out. The deck wheels do not swivel.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Old 23-07-2007, 10:26 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Art Art is offline

Clark wrote:
"Art" wrote in message
Clark wrote:
Here is a pic of the new and old blades, keep in mind the old blades have
TWO hours on them, cutting (mostly) grass.
I am also posting the "monster" stick pic, keep in mind, I'm 5'6" and
have small hands (insert joke here), the pic is of me holding the stick.
Oh and the other pic is my version of safety first,

So am I right or wrong about the blades?
I can take, tell me honestly.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=4zwkoq1
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=4ys0vt3
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=4zav954
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=6fet181

Thanks again.

It's fairly obvious that the replacement blades are of better quality.
What opinions are you wanting?

--
Art

Well the part number is the same, the opinion I was looking for was whether
or not Sears put sub-standard blades on the mower it shipped.

Clark

That's not really opinion. I think you proved that, but I still don't
get the point. They certainly can improve any part they want and leave
it the same part number or assign it a new one. Aren't you glad there is
a much better blade available now than what it came with? If the
original was the only blade available I could see you raising a stink
about the poor quality.

--
Art
Old 24-07-2007, 01:17 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Art" wrote in message
Clark wrote:
"Art" wrote in message
Clark wrote:
[...]

My issue with the blades the mower came with is that they bent and cut into
the mower deck within two hours of mowing, and causing the engine to come to
a dead stop from full throttle, maybe causing engine damage too.

Clark

Old 25-07-2007, 03:31 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"willshak" om...
Tomes :
[...]

Yow. I guess this is what I get for going with the JD. Glad I did.
Tomes

Old 25-07-2007, 02:24 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

on 7/24/2007 10:31 PM Tomes said the following:
[...]

I have to do this routine twice a year. Remove the mower deck in the
late fall to be able to mount the snowblower attachment, which is even
more of a task since the tractor has to be elevated a bit to slide the
very heavy snowblower frame under the tractor. Then in the spring,
reverse the procedure. I guess the best thing about this (or the worst,
however you look at it) is that I have been doing it for about 12 years
with the same tractor, mower, and snowblower attachment.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Old 02-08-2007, 12:37 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"willshak" ...
Tomes :
[...]

I go through this too in as the winter snows arrive, also for the past 12
years or so. Sometimes I can go through the winter without putting on the
snowblower. I keep the blower in the shed, tipped up out of the way. I
drive in, slide the mowing deck out sideways and tip that up on its side
against the wall. Then I back out. I then tip the blower back down and
drive back up over it and hook it up using many of the same spring clips
as well as a couple of other relatively simple connections. It is usually
really cold when I do this =).
Tomes