Old 02-08-2007, 06:10 PM posted to rec.gardens
David E. Ross David E. Ross is offline

Default Zygocactus

On 8/1/2007 5:30 PM, O My Garden wrote [in part]:
On Aug 1, 2:34 pm, Phisherman wrote:
This year all my zygocactus rotted at the base. I took the stems that
fell from the plants and these are beginning to root. I know that
these plants will rot if left wet, and although I had all of them in
clay pots (no saucers) resting on sticks for quick drainage the
plants' roots rotted. They were put on my deck with brief morning
sun. How often should these plants be watered in summer? Is
cactus/succulent mix the best potting soil? Should I drill additional
holes in the clay pots?

For cactus/succulent, you should water them when their soild is dry.
You can test it by puting chopstick into the pot. If the soil is wet,
there should be some soil going along with the chopstick.

Zygocatus (Schlumbergera species) are tropical cactus, as are orchid
cactus (Epiphyllum). Both thrive on more moisture than desert cactus.
Do not allow these to become completely dry.

Like many plants, however, they cannot tolerate wet soil. There is a
significant difference between "wet" and "moist". You can actually
squeeze water out of wet soil. Moist soil feels damp but has no free
water.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean