Old 03-08-2007, 12:01 AM posted to rec.gardens
Jim Kingdon Jim Kingdon is offline

Default Ash disposal

My wife had our son go through this elaborate process of mixing the
ash with specific proportions of regular dirt (mostly clay in our
not-so-arable area) and sand, saying that the ashes can provide useful
nutrients to the garden but in high concentrations can be destructive.

That's a good rule of thumb for a lot of things you are tempted to add
to a garden.

The more "scientific" way would actually involve measuring what your
particular ash is like, what your soil is like, etc. Not necessarily
a bad idea. But at some point one usually ends up with a certain
amount of guesswork and "well, things seemed to grow when we did it".