Old 03-08-2007, 02:11 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Art Art is offline

Default Lawnmowers with recycling

Eggs Zachtly wrote:
Art said:

Steveo wrote:
"John G Evans" wrote:
I would be grateful for help on the selection of mowers which recycle the
cuttings. Recommendations on make, choice of drive (petrol or electric)
and advice on what to avoid would be most welcome. Thank you.
J. G. Evans,
Derbyshire.

Can't help with brand names or models, but gasoline powered is a must for
blade speed when mulching.

Blade speed is the same with electric or gas.

*insert Tim Allen grunt*
"URRRGH?"

That *entirely* depends on the speed in which the shaft of the engine
rotates. Plus, an electric motor will struggle *much* more with taller
grass that a gas-powered engine will. This will slow the electric motor
down, thereby decreasing the blade speed.

No? =)

Blade tip speed should be the same under no load at roughly 19,000 ft
per minute. The motor RPMs and blade length are figured and designed to
reach that speed or very close to it. Obviously a gas mower is more
powerful than an electric one and can handle more load. But I would say
that power is more of a factor than blade speed when it comes to ability
to mulch. There are some lighter grasses in small yards where an
electric mower will mulch just fine. The OP didn't give enough info on
yard size and grass type and the reply was just, well crap, IMO.

--
Art