Old 01-04-2003, 08:56 PM
Britannica

Default Earthworms

Kay Easton wrote in message ...

Big snip 8-----------

Oh - and wait a month - the soil hasn't really warmed up yet, so things
might improve

Finally - once you've re-stocked, how are you going to protect them from
the next mole invader? - I'm not trying to be negative, just curious.

Kay - sorry about the tardiness. Thanks for the advice.

SWDTG (She who does the gardening) says there were some worms in
the compost,- something I'd overlooked. But I think the lack of rain
for the past three weeks or so is probably the real culprit - the
worms that surived the mole have probably gone really deep.

As for another mole - we get the catcher in on sighting the first
mound. With the last one we wasted too much time with old wive's tale
solutions that didn't work !!

It is a walled garden and I know the wall foundations are at least two
feet below soil level. I think the mole got in last time while I had
the garden gate off for repair - I've now added a piece on the bottom
of the gate so there' a bare half-inch clearance.