Old 04-08-2007, 03:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
'Mike' 'Mike' is offline

Default OT OT Excel ??????

"David (Normandy)" wrote in message
Massive book :-((

Mike

Make sure you take regular backups of your files to CD, memory stick or
other media and preferably ask someone else (a family member) to keep the
copies at their house.
The lost count of the number of times over the years I've heard the sad
tale of people writing a book or PhD thesis on a computer only for the
hard drive to fail or computer get nicked - and no backup copies!

The reason for keeping backups "off-site" is in case of a fire. People
commonly keep backup disks in a draw next to their computer which of
course become useless too. If you are concerned about third parties
looking at your backups then simply password protect them, or use WinZip
with encryption and a password.

A question I'm commonly asked is "How often should I do a backup of my
work" - I always give the same reply "How much work are you prepared to
lose and have to re-do?"

David.

Thank you David. I do do that, not often enough I must say, but I did do a
massive back up a few days ago.

The majority I have on computer is data and a few 'epistles'.

Most of the work I do is passing information on to others. I am a sort of
'base' and that is why I have been asked to give lectures and give talks of
'Special Interest'.

A lap top linked to the latest type of projector is a god send now. Two
pieces of equipment and no books/lecture notes :-)) THAT is why back up is
so important :-))

Thanks again

Mike

Reunion Bournemouth August/September 2007
www.rneba.org.uk