Old 04-08-2007, 11:22 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
Rachael Simpson Rachael Simpson is offline

Default with the fruit comes the........

Billy Rose wrote:
In article ,
rachael simpson wrote:

Easy As Apple Pie:

1 pk (16 oz) deep dish piecrusts
6 cups peeled & sliced apples
3/4 cup sugar (+ tablespoon extra)
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon brown sugar
cinnamon to taste
2 tablespoons butter (chilled, cut into pieces)
1 & 1/2 tablespoons of milk

preheat oven to 425. mix apples, sugars, flour, and cinnamon in large
bowl until apples are throughly coated. Evenly spread apple mixture
into piecrust, scatter butter pieces on top. Fit the second piecrust
over apple mixture, pressing edges to seal & flute. brush top crust
with milk. make slits in top crust to vent. sprinkle with the extra
tablespoon of sugar. bake 40-45 min or until piecrust is golden brown.

This is basically what the French call a Tarte Tatin.

Sorry, I wouldn't know anything french if hit me up side the head.
unless of course we're talking french fries, french bread, french toast,
or french kiss.......lol

Variations include
adding a handful of raisins or, excluding the cinnamon, they include a
few drops of vanilla extract or a couple of tablespoons of lemon juice.
The butter cooking with the sugar makes a caramel sauce for the apples.

Also very nice is the sliced apples on a pie shell, a couple of
tablespoons of lemon juice and spread orange marmalade over the apples
and bake.

will have to experiment with that sometime...thanks for the tip