Old 04-08-2007, 12:43 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Default with the fruit comes the........

CALORIES!!!!

Friend gave us some apples & blueberries a couple of days ago. Made a
scrumptious apple pie & blueberry cobbler with them.

Easy As Apple Pie:

1 pk (16 oz) deep dish piecrusts
6 cups peeled & sliced apples
3/4 cup sugar (+ tablespoon extra)
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon brown sugar
cinnamon to taste
2 tablespoons butter (chilled, cut into pieces)
1 & 1/2 tablespoons of milk

preheat oven to 425. mix apples, sugars, flour, and cinnamon in large
bowl until apples are throughly coated. Evenly spread apple mixture
into piecrust, scatter butter pieces on top. Fit the second piecrust
over apple mixture, pressing edges to seal & flute. brush top crust
with milk. make slits in top crust to vent. sprinkle with the extra
tablespoon of sugar. bake 40-45 min or until piecrust is golden brown.

Blueberry Dump

2 cups fresh blueberries (or one 16 oz frozen)
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon vanilla flavoring
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon (or to taste)
1/2 box white or yellow cake mix
4 tablespoon melted butter

grease crockpot, add fruit, toss with cornstarch. drizzle vanilla, add
brown sugar, cinnamon and then the cake mix. drizzle butter on top.
cover & cook on high 3-4 hours depending on heating variations.

That's my favorite blueberry cobbler. Can use the recipe with any fresh
or frozen fruit.
Old 04-08-2007, 10:35 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
rachael simpson wrote:

Easy As Apple Pie:

1 pk (16 oz) deep dish piecrusts
6 cups peeled & sliced apples
3/4 cup sugar (+ tablespoon extra)
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon brown sugar
cinnamon to taste
2 tablespoons butter (chilled, cut into pieces)
1 & 1/2 tablespoons of milk

preheat oven to 425. mix apples, sugars, flour, and cinnamon in large
bowl until apples are throughly coated. Evenly spread apple mixture
into piecrust, scatter butter pieces on top. Fit the second piecrust
over apple mixture, pressing edges to seal & flute. brush top crust
with milk. make slits in top crust to vent. sprinkle with the extra
tablespoon of sugar. bake 40-45 min or until piecrust is golden brown.

This is basically what the French call a Tarte Tatin. Variations include
adding a handful of raisins or, excluding the cinnamon, they include a
few drops of vanilla extract or a couple of tablespoons of lemon juice.
The butter cooking with the sugar makes a caramel sauce for the apples.

Also very nice is the sliced apples on a pie shell, a couple of
tablespoons of lemon juice and spread orange marmalade over the apples
and bake.

--
Billy
http://angryarab.blogspot.com/
Old 04-08-2007, 10:43 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Billy Rose wrote:

In article ,
rachael simpson wrote:

[...]

Nectarine-Plum Kuchen

Recipe By : COUNTRY BAKING
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Warm Crisps And Cobblers

1/2 cup butter or margarine -- softened
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
1 egg
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 nectarine -- cut into thin slices
3 plums -- cut into thin slices
1/4 cup peach jam -- melted

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease tart pan with removable bottom, 9x1".
Beat margarine and brown sugar in large bowl. Stir in almond extract and
egg. Stir in flour, baking powder
and salt until well blended. Refrigerate about 30 minutes or
until dough is easy to work with. Press dough on bottom and up side of
tart pan. Arrange nectarine and plums on dough. Bake 30-35 minutes or
until edge is golden brown. Cool 10 minutes; remove side of pan. Brush
jam over top.

--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade
Old 04-08-2007, 11:19 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

William Wagner wrote:
[...]

Cool..this sounds pretty good too. have to add plums & nectarines to the
grocery list...
Old 04-08-2007, 11:22 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Billy Rose wrote:
In article ,
rachael simpson wrote:

Easy As Apple Pie:

1 pk (16 oz) deep dish piecrusts
6 cups peeled & sliced apples
3/4 cup sugar (+ tablespoon extra)
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon brown sugar
cinnamon to taste
2 tablespoons butter (chilled, cut into pieces)
1 & 1/2 tablespoons of milk

preheat oven to 425. mix apples, sugars, flour, and cinnamon in large
bowl until apples are throughly coated. Evenly spread apple mixture
into piecrust, scatter butter pieces on top. Fit the second piecrust
over apple mixture, pressing edges to seal & flute. brush top crust
with milk. make slits in top crust to vent. sprinkle with the extra
tablespoon of sugar. bake 40-45 min or until piecrust is golden brown.

This is basically what the French call a Tarte Tatin.

Sorry, I wouldn't know anything french if hit me up side the head.
unless of course we're talking french fries, french bread, french toast,
or french kiss.......lol

Variations include
adding a handful of raisins or, excluding the cinnamon, they include a
few drops of vanilla extract or a couple of tablespoons of lemon juice.
The butter cooking with the sugar makes a caramel sauce for the apples.

Also very nice is the sliced apples on a pie shell, a couple of
tablespoons of lemon juice and spread orange marmalade over the apples
and bake.

will have to experiment with that sometime...thanks for the tip

Old 05-08-2007, 01:08 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Cheryl's Berry Cobbler

Mix berries of choice to fill baking dish, adding sugar to taste and a good
sprinkle of nutmeg. Depending on the mix (especially if you use
strawberries) add a teaspoon of cornstarch. Make a batch of short biscuits
and drop them on top of your berries. Bake at 400 F for about 30 minutes, a
little longer if you have bigger "cobbles".

Works for breakfast.

Cheryl

Old 05-08-2007, 01:21 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Cheryl Isaak wrote:
Cheryl's Berry Cobbler

Mix berries of choice to fill baking dish, adding sugar to taste and a good
sprinkle of nutmeg. Depending on the mix (especially if you use
strawberries) add a teaspoon of cornstarch. Make a batch of short biscuits
and drop them on top of your berries. Bake at 400 F for about 30 minutes, a
little longer if you have bigger "cobbles".

Works for breakfast.

Cheryl

are you kidding? it works for dessert too.....
lol
Old 05-08-2007, 01:48 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

On 8/4/07 8:21 PM, in article , "rachael
simpson" wrote:

Cheryl Isaak wrote:
Cheryl's Berry Cobbler

Mix berries of choice to fill baking dish, adding sugar to taste and a good
sprinkle of nutmeg. Depending on the mix (especially if you use
strawberries) add a teaspoon of cornstarch. Make a batch of short biscuits
and drop them on top of your berries. Bake at 400 F for about 30 minutes, a
little longer if you have bigger "cobbles".

Works for breakfast.

Cheryl

are you kidding? it works for dessert too.....
lol

And how, but cold, with a big cup of tea at breakfast... Tastes decadent,
but it's not really,

Old 05-08-2007, 01:58 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

simpson" wrote:

Cheryl Isaak wrote:
Cheryl's Berry Cobbler

Mix berries of choice to fill baking dish, adding sugar to taste and a good
sprinkle of nutmeg. Depending on the mix (especially if you use
strawberries) add a teaspoon of cornstarch. Make a batch of short biscuits
and drop them on top of your berries. Bake at 400 F for about 30 minutes, a
little longer if you have bigger "cobbles".

Works for breakfast.

Cheryl

are you kidding? it works for dessert too.....
lol

And how, but cold, with a big cup of tea at breakfast... Tastes decadent,
but it's not really,

huh? did i miss something? are you doped up on pain meds still? (j/k)

did you mean "and how 'bout cold?"
maybe I read it wrong........lol

how's the cut BTW?
Old 05-08-2007, 02:37 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

"rachael simpson" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks. I think I'll try this one. Sounds delicious.

Old 05-08-2007, 02:44 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Cheryl Isaak wrote:

Works for breakfast.

Cheryl

are you kidding? it works for dessert too.....
lol
And how, but cold, with a big cup of tea at breakfast... Tastes decadent,
but it's not really,

huh? did i miss something? are you doped up on pain meds still? (j/k)

did you mean "and how 'bout cold?"
maybe I read it wrong........lol

Re-read conversationally. Great dessert, but frankly, I adore it cold with
my morning cuppa
how's the cut BTW?

Well, the dead skin came off and I have a big pink spot that is getting lots
and lots of Vitamin E cream. Still can't hold a needle properly to stitch,
but I'm headed to the garden tomorrow as the "oozy" spot has closed.

yeah, i gotcha! that's what i thought, but wasn't sure.....tv noise
(america's most wanted) & kids screaming (playfully) interfered with my
train of thought.
got all 3 on the floor flipping around.....hubby, son, & daughter...

Glad your cut's healing up.....i know that had to be aggravating.

rae
Old 05-08-2007, 02:48 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Manelli Family wrote:

[...]

you're welcome. delicious (& simple) is the best part about it. Doesn't
take long to put together also. works great in a pinch for me...when
hubby forgets to tell me we have a cook-out or dinner to go to, etc. i
hate to show up empty handed, and he has a knack for not telling me til
he suddenly remembers an hour or two before we are suppose to be there!
Old 05-08-2007, 01:15 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

On 8/4/07 9:44 PM, in article , "rachael
simpson" wrote:

Cheryl Isaak wrote:

[...]

That would interfere with mine as well - I got a quieter night. DD was
really tired and went up with out much complaint to read and DS and DH were
off doing a hockey party.

Glad your cut's healing up.....i know that had to be aggravating.

And how...and it is still bothersome.