Old 04-08-2007, 11:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Sacha is offline

Default Plant/weed identification please

On 4/8/07 19:55, in article , "David
(Normandy)" wrote:

"Russel Sprout" wrote in message

"David (Normandy)" wrote in message
The plants have grown from seeds "contaminating" some multipurpose
compost I
bought and I'm curious to know what they are.
I posted a link for these three as seedlings a few weeks ago.
They have grown a lot since then - any ideas anyone?
The stalks are quite fleshy and not woody so I don't think they are tree
seedlings.
Suggestions?

http://www.avisoft.co.uk/images/MysteryPlant.jpg

Hemp Agrimony

I think you may be right - Hemp Agrimony (eupatorium cannabinum). I've just
Googled for images and while mine aren't in flower yet the foliage looks
right. Google says it is a wildflower attractive to butterflies and can even
be bought from a number of plant nurseries, which would perhaps imply it
isn't a pernicious weed?

I've posted a couple of times in the past extolling the virtues of
Eupatorium Atropurpureum. Ours are absolutely covered in butterflies right
now and we don't find it to be invasive. There's a lovely one which is E.
rugosum 'Chocolate'.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk