Old 04-08-2007, 02:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Plant/weed identification please

The plants have grown from seeds "contaminating" some multipurpose compost I
bought and I'm curious to know what they are.
I posted a link for these three as seedlings a few weeks ago.
They have grown a lot since then - any ideas anyone?
The stalks are quite fleshy and not woody so I don't think they are tree
seedlings.
Suggestions?

http://www.avisoft.co.uk/images/MysteryPlant.jpg

David.

Old 04-08-2007, 07:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Russel Sprout" wrote in message

"David (Normandy)" wrote in message
The plants have grown from seeds "contaminating" some multipurpose
compost I
bought and I'm curious to know what they are.
I posted a link for these three as seedlings a few weeks ago.
They have grown a lot since then - any ideas anyone?
The stalks are quite fleshy and not woody so I don't think they are tree
seedlings.
Suggestions?

http://www.avisoft.co.uk/images/MysteryPlant.jpg

Hemp Agrimony

I think you may be right - Hemp Agrimony (eupatorium cannabinum). I've just
Googled for images and while mine aren't in flower yet the foliage looks
right. Google says it is a wildflower attractive to butterflies and can even
be bought from a number of plant nurseries, which would perhaps imply it
isn't a pernicious weed?

Anyone know if it invasive? Presumably it has a habit of seeding itself
everywhere - which I how I got it "free" in my multi-purpose compost.

It looks like the plants are for keeping rather than composting, so the
question now is whether to set them out in a flower border or give them a
little border to themselves.

Anyone growing this?

David.

Old 04-08-2007, 08:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , "David
(Normandy)" writes

[...]

There's a clump 3 or 4 miles down the canal. As British wild flowers go
it's one of the bulkier ones. Stace says that it grows to 1.5m, and I
observe it to form considerable clumps - I guess that is spreads by
rhizomes. (Not as bad as the 20 yard clump of goldenrod that's colonised
one roadside verge.)
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 04-08-2007, 10:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Użytkownik "David (Normandy)" napisał w
wiadomo¶ci ...

[...]

Well, yes. Nice butterfly plant, nice smell when you stick your nose in.
Looks nice at the back of perennial bed. But - it _does_ seed itself. Better
not grow it, if your garden is damp. Mine is dry, so it is manageable

Regards, Barbara.

Old 04-08-2007, 11:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 4/8/07 19:55, in article , "David
(Normandy)" wrote:

[...]

I've posted a couple of times in the past extolling the virtues of
Eupatorium Atropurpureum. Ours are absolutely covered in butterflies right
now and we don't find it to be invasive. There's a lovely one which is E.
rugosum 'Chocolate'.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 05-08-2007, 10:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Stewart Robert Hinsley writes:
| In message , "David
| (Normandy)" writes
|
| I think you may be right - Hemp Agrimony (eupatorium cannabinum). I've just
| Googled for images and while mine aren't in flower yet the foliage looks
| right. Google says it is a wildflower attractive to butterflies and can even
| be bought from a number of plant nurseries, which would perhaps imply it
| isn't a pernicious weed?
|
| There's a clump 3 or 4 miles down the canal. As British wild flowers go
| it's one of the bulkier ones. Stace says that it grows to 1.5m, and I
| observe it to form considerable clumps - I guess that is spreads by
| rhizomes. (Not as bad as the 20 yard clump of goldenrod that's colonised
| one roadside verge.)

We walked along some canal near Diggle, and there was a lot of
Himalayan balsam. I ranted to my wife that most of the claims of
the perniciousness of weeds in the UK are tripe - there are a FEW
that are seriously invasive, like Japanese knotweed, but most, like
buddleia, balsam and goldenrod, don't eliminate all other plants even
where they become established. They may become obtrusive, or even
dominant, but that isn't the same.

Excluding the few Arctic remnants, which will probably be wiped out
of the UK within a century by climate change, essentially all of our
flora and fauna are recent invaders, almost all of our ecologies are
artificial and all of our endemic species are recent offshoots from
ones that exist elsewhere. We are probably the country-sized area in
the world that needs to worry LEAST about alien species!

So what plant species are a major problem, in the sense of seriously
threatening to eliminate existing species or all examples of particular
ecologies? I have been told that Rhododendron ponticum is in a few
places, Japanese knotweed definitely is, some waterweeds are reported
to be, but what else?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 06-08-2007, 09:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

snip
So what plant species are a major problem, in the sense of seriously
threatening to eliminate existing species or all examples of particular
ecologies? I have been told that Rhododendron ponticum is in a few
places, Japanese knotweed definitely is, some waterweeds are reported
to be, but what else?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Heracleum mantegazzianum-Giant Hogweed is reputed to be a thug.
Any plant with such a spectacular name is worthy of a spot in my garden.
Just one and only one plant.