Old 06-08-2007, 03:02 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Tomes Tomes is offline

Default Modifying and starting with components in my earthmachine

It looks to me like we are overthinking this a bit. I have a compost bin,
3x4x4 feet or so. I throw in whatever I have from the kitchen, stuff from
around the yard, some leaves, some garden stuff and let it cook; I don't
really cut it up much. It is just a big bin. It does not get mixed or
anything. It has a flap so I can dig stuff out of the bottom, which has
been in there maybe a few years by the time it gets down that far. It
turns out terrific compost.
Tomes

"bent" wrote in message
update;
I just got a donation of a couple 1/2 full bags of dried out leaves (C),
looks like mainly apple.

So I have:
years grass (N) - two+ heavy garbage cans full (pool, so no mulching -
at least not yet)
couple 1/2 full bags of dried out leaves (C)
all the newspaper I need (C)
privat hedge clippings (a heavy batch just clipped yesterday) (N?)

SO, can I get ALL my container clean-up done by dumping everything into
my new composter (i.e. ALL 2+ cans grass)?

Even if, since I have lots of grass, and potentially a compliment N
shortage b/c of it, is it a good idea to vary the sources of the N, i.e.
add hedge clippings too even though I have lots of N in the form of
grass already?

News==----
Newsgroups
=----