Old 01-04-2003, 10:20 PM
Unique Too

Default Are you looking for 'antique roses' ?

"Sue" writes:

back with a question (remember, I'm one with no experience but 15-20 roses
around the house) ... just curious, (1) if roses are cared for properly,
will they last for decades in a homeyard?

They can, but not always. There are roses that are very old, there was a
discussion here recently about the Lady Banks rose at Tombstone and another in
Europe. I personally know of one planted 40 years ago, so it has lasted 4
decades.

(2) what is the average lifespan
of say a rose bush? and lastly,

No clue, I'm not sure there is an difinitive answer to that one. Too many
variables. Even a well cared for rose can die in a matter of days, if it
wasn't a good plant to start with. Some last for generations even without any
care.

(3) are there folks that DO look for antique
roses and eventually take 'cuttings' (or, sorry to be so ignorant) or
whatever it is that would start a sister rose bush in another location ?

Absolutely. One of the largest organizations I'm aware of is The Texas Rose
Rustlers, http://www.texas-rose-rustlers.com/
But there are also many individuals who keep an eye out for abandoned roses,
myself included. So far I've found and taken cuttings from three which turned
out to be LaMarne, Cecile Brunner and Louis Phillipe. None of these are rare,
but nonetheless special to me because I found them.

Julie