Old 27-03-2003, 01:20 PM
Sue

Default Are you looking for 'antique roses' ?

Hello the group,

back with a question (remember, I'm one with no experience but 15-20 roses
around the house) ... just curious, (1) if roses are cared for properly,
will they last for decades in a homeyard? (2) what is the average lifespan
of say a rose bush? and lastly, (3) are there folks that DO look for antique
roses and eventually take 'cuttings' (or, sorry to be so ignorant) or
whatever it is that would start a sister rose bush in another location ?

I realize once I read up on roses, go to my local rose society meetings
(soon!) I might have the answers, but isn't it always easier to ask via
email than face to face? *g*

thanks in advance
SUE
Colorado
Where the first leaves on some of my bushes HAVE
appeared ! Whereas before I was content to leave the
roses be, do as they will? This year, I'm feeling a
sense of urgency to caretake *s*

Old 27-03-2003, 04:44 PM
Cass

In article , Sue
wrote:

Hello the group,

back with a question (remember, I'm one with no experience but 15-20 roses
around the house) ... just curious, (1) if roses are cared for properly,
will they last for decades in a homeyard?

Yes, especially if they are healthy specimens and cultivars.

(2) what is the average lifespan of say a rose bush?

Roses have lived for more than 150 years, maybe longer. But your
average rose's lifespan depends on where it is planted. My mother's
roses all dated from the 60's in Reno.

and lastly, (3) are there folks that DO look for antique
roses and eventually take 'cuttings' (or, sorry to be so ignorant) or
whatever it is that would start a sister rose bush in another location ?

Yes, lots of them. You can read about the well known collectors in
Denver at the Fairmount Cemetery

http://www.geocities.com/john_starnes/fairmount.html

The Sacramento City Cemetery

http://home.inreach.com/verlaine/roses/

and the Texas Rose Rustlers

http://www.texas-rose-rustlers.com/

There are Heritage Rose Groups around the country that are dedicated to
preserving, identifying and spreading those old roses.

I realize once I read up on roses, go to my local rose society meetings
(soon!) I might have the answers, but isn't it always easier to ask via
email than face to face? *g*

Use google to do some rose searches. You'll be amazed at the internet
rose sources, starting with the American Rose Society, all the way to
local Heritage Roses groups like the Gold Coast:
http://www.goldcoastrose.org/
Old 28-03-2003, 05:44 PM
Shiva

Sue wrote:

Hello the group,

[...]
I realize once I read up on roses, go to my local rose society meetings
(soon!) I might have the answers, but isn't it always easier to ask via
email than face to face?

Sue--I can't wait until they bloom and you can see what you really have. I
think you mentioned that you have a scanner but not a digital camera--you
can lay blooms right on the scanner, lid propped, and post them so we can
see and perhaps identify. If you have any trouble posting, you can send
them to me at this email address and I will post them for you.

Old 01-04-2003, 10:20 PM
Unique Too

"Sue" writes:

back with a question (remember, I'm one with no experience but 15-20 roses
around the house) ... just curious, (1) if roses are cared for properly,
will they last for decades in a homeyard?

They can, but not always. There are roses that are very old, there was a
discussion here recently about the Lady Banks rose at Tombstone and another in
Europe. I personally know of one planted 40 years ago, so it has lasted 4
decades.

(2) what is the average lifespan
of say a rose bush? and lastly,

No clue, I'm not sure there is an difinitive answer to that one. Too many
variables. Even a well cared for rose can die in a matter of days, if it
wasn't a good plant to start with. Some last for generations even without any
care.

(3) are there folks that DO look for antique
roses and eventually take 'cuttings' (or, sorry to be so ignorant) or
whatever it is that would start a sister rose bush in another location ?

Absolutely. One of the largest organizations I'm aware of is The Texas Rose
Rustlers, http://www.texas-rose-rustlers.com/
But there are also many individuals who keep an eye out for abandoned roses,
myself included. So far I've found and taken cuttings from three which turned
out to be LaMarne, Cecile Brunner and Louis Phillipe. None of these are rare,
but nonetheless special to me because I found them.

Julie
Old 04-04-2003, 12:44 AM
Cdonahey41

Oddly enough, I think a lot of the old roses were swamp, oasis, or wild roses
found by the Crusaders in the Middle East. That area used to be The Garden of
Eden?

Have anyone ever planted own root old roses in a wetland environment?