Old 06-08-2007, 07:06 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Rob Rob is offline

Default Horse Manure

This horse*%!# comes up every couple years in RGO, actually... I
suspect it works for some people, but I've lost a fair number of plants
in my experiments. I have literally tons of poo to play with (and even
better, it is my neighbor's horse farm, nothing nicer than somebody
else's horses), so it is a shame.

I don't find the odor offensive, myself. I'd suggest letting the plants
you have repotted already go for a while, before committing any more
plants to the project. Initial impressions may not hold up in the long
run. But, if it does work for you, then go for it.

Rob

Bob Walsh wrote:
Mark,

Are you growing outside?

I tried it with an ailing cym in an inside growing area and found it almost
oderless. I also found my fungus gnats loved it.

The cym died by the way, but probably would have anyway.

Bob

"Mark_OK" wrote in message
t...
In a Yahoo Orchid group there was a thread on potting in horse manure.
Having a couple of horses and a few plants needing repotting I thought I
would try a little horse manure. My first thought after doing the
repotting was I wonder if the smell will ever diminish not that I find
horse manure offensive. Has anybody else tried this? I really can't see
switching over to manure but if we don't experiment we will never know.

The website is http://www.boschnet.net/horsemanure/

--
Mark Edson
Waukomis Oklahoma, USA