Old 06-08-2007, 01:43 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Horse Manure

In a Yahoo Orchid group there was a thread on potting in horse manure.
Having a couple of horses and a few plants needing repotting I thought I
would try a little horse manure. My first thought after doing the repotting
was I wonder if the smell will ever diminish not that I find horse manure
offensive. Has anybody else tried this? I really can't see switching over to
manure but if we don't experiment we will never know.

The website is http://www.boschnet.net/horsemanure/

--
Mark Edson
Waukomis Oklahoma, USA

Old 06-08-2007, 06:33 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Mark,

Are you growing outside?

I tried it with an ailing cym in an inside growing area and found it almost
oderless. I also found my fungus gnats loved it.

The cym died by the way, but probably would have anyway.

Bob

t...

Old 06-08-2007, 07:06 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Rob Rob is offline

This horse*%!# comes up every couple years in RGO, actually... I
suspect it works for some people, but I've lost a fair number of plants
in my experiments. I have literally tons of poo to play with (and even
better, it is my neighbor's horse farm, nothing nicer than somebody
else's horses), so it is a shame.

I don't find the odor offensive, myself. I'd suggest letting the plants
you have repotted already go for a while, before committing any more
plants to the project. Initial impressions may not hold up in the long
run. But, if it does work for you, then go for it.

Rob

Bob Walsh wrote:
Mark,

Are you growing outside?

I tried it with an ailing cym in an inside growing area and found it almost
oderless. I also found my fungus gnats loved it.

The cym died by the way, but probably would have anyway.

Bob

"Mark_OK" wrote in message
t...
In a Yahoo Orchid group there was a thread on potting in horse manure.
Having a couple of horses and a few plants needing repotting I thought I
would try a little horse manure. My first thought after doing the
repotting was I wonder if the smell will ever diminish not that I find
horse manure offensive. Has anybody else tried this? I really can't see
switching over to manure but if we don't experiment we will never know.

The website is http://www.boschnet.net/horsemanure/

--
Mark Edson
Waukomis Oklahoma, USA

--
Rob's Rules: http://littlefrogfarm.com
2a) See rule 1

Old 07-08-2007, 05:15 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Mark_OK wrote:
In a Yahoo Orchid group there was a thread on potting in horse manure.
Having a couple of horses and a few plants needing repotting I thought I
would try a little horse manure. My first thought after doing the
repotting was I wonder if the smell will ever diminish not that I find
horse manure offensive. Has anybody else tried this? I really can't see
switching over to manure but if we don't experiment we will never know.

The website is http://www.boschnet.net/horsemanure/

I've never tried it and probably never will. I am glad you showed Nic's
web site. The site, as I had it bookmarked, was gone. I figured the
site died out soon after Nic passed on. I wonder if he moved it or did
someone else move it to a safe place after he died? I remember Nic
posting on OGD. He was so dedicated to his method of growing. It seemed
that he just couldn't understand why everyone wasn't growing their
orchids that way.

Steve
Old 07-08-2007, 01:50 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Quoting the post on Yahoo:

As you probably know Nic van den Bosch died in late
2005 but his website,
about growing orchids in horsemanure, was kept online
by his generous host
Vision Internet Tasmania until this year when it was
turned off.

After many requests I have now restored the web site
to another server and
it is now available at the following address -

http://www.boschnet.net/horsemanure

Regards,
Jeff van den Bosch (Nic's son)

Old 09-08-2007, 12:56 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Wed, 08 Aug 2007 21:25:31 GMT in Mark_OK wrote:
A poster on the Yahoo group wants to know where he/she can find and buy some
horse manure!

If you know someone that keeps horses they'll never stop giving you sh....
--
Chris Dukes
elfick willg: you can't use dell to beat people, it wouldn't stand up

Old 11-08-2007, 05:52 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

"Bob Walsh" wrote in
:

Mark,

Are you growing outside?

I tried it with an ailing cym in an inside growing area and found it
almost oderless. I also found my fungus gnats loved it.

The cym died by the way, but probably would have anyway.

Bob

"Mark_OK" wrote in message
t...
In a Yahoo Orchid group there was a thread on potting in horse
manure. Having a couple of horses and a few plants needing repotting
I thought I would try a little horse manure. My first thought after
doing the repotting was I wonder if the smell will ever diminish not
that I find horse manure offensive. Has anybody else tried this? I
really can't see switching over to manure but if we don't experiment
we will never know.

The website is http://www.boschnet.net/horsemanure/

--
Mark Edson
Waukomis Oklahoma, USA

I may have missed some of the horse manure discussion but let me add
fresh is bad as it will burn your roots. Horse manure that has been
composted over winter is good when used in moderation with Cym's. It's
even more fantastic when used on rose and vegetable gardens.

Grow well and bloom magnificently

Old 12-08-2007, 01:59 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

"Bob Walsh" wrote in
:

Mark,

Are you growing outside?

I tried it with an ailing cym in an inside growing area and found it
almost oderless. I also found my fungus gnats loved it.

The cym died by the way, but probably would have anyway.

Bob

. net...

Dusty wrote:
I may have missed some of the horse manure discussion but let me add
fresh is bad as it will burn your roots. Horse manure that has been
composted over winter is good when used in moderation with Cym's. It's
even more fantastic when used on rose and vegetable gardens.

No Dusty, by missing some of the discussion, you missed the point. They
were talking about Nic van den Bosch's method. Not just using horse
manure as a fertilizer, but as the entire growing medium. Why it doesn't
burn the roots, I do not know. He used pure, fresh, horse manure and if
you look at his site, it seems to work pretty well. Start he
http://www.boschnet.net/horsemanure/potting%20info.htm
Then go to the "results photos" using the link at the top or bottom of
that page.

Steve
Old 12-08-2007, 10:59 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

If he lives in the UK I can supply him with a few tons of it. That
should keep him going for a while!

Peter Cliff