Old 08-08-2007, 05:33 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Glenna Rose Glenna Rose is offline

Default Coffee grounds

writes:
"Ken Lichtsinn" wrote in
message
.. .

Has anybody had experience with using coffee grounds as mulch? Has
anybody used them for adding organic matter?
--
Ken Lichtsinn

Waiting for similar answer. I've got a cylindrical shaped metal trash
can
with a plastic liner. I've been dumping coffee grounds with filter in
that
can since February. I drink about a pot a morning.
Dave

A year or two ago, I read an article citing that a university in Hawaii
had discovered, while concentrating on a different issue, that fresh
coffee grounds deter slugs; apparently it was related to the caffeine.
You can probably Google it University of Hawaii + coffee grounds and find
it.

Coffee grounds would make an excellent addition to the soil (used or
fresh); I also read they are good in strawberry beds, likely the slug
issue again.

In our area, Starbucks leaves the coffee grounds in a basket for customers
to take for their gardens.

Glenna