Old 09-08-2007, 03:57 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Coffee grounds

"Glenna Rose" wrote in message
news:fc.003d0941022e3b8f3b9aca005fd7a40f.22e3b94@p mug.org...
writes:
"Ken Lichtsinn" wrote in
message
. ..

Has anybody had experience with using coffee grounds as mulch? Has
anybody used them for adding organic matter?
--
Ken Lichtsinn

Waiting for similar answer. I've got a cylindrical shaped metal trash
can
with a plastic liner. I've been dumping coffee grounds with filter in
that
can since February. I drink about a pot a morning.
Dave

A year or two ago, I read an article citing that a university in Hawaii
had discovered, while concentrating on a different issue, that fresh
coffee grounds deter slugs; apparently it was related to the caffeine.
You can probably Google it University of Hawaii + coffee grounds and find
it.

Coffee grounds would make an excellent addition to the soil (used or
fresh); I also read they are good in strawberry beds, likely the slug
issue again.

In our area, Starbucks leaves the coffee grounds in a basket for customers
to take for their gardens.

Glenna

Lotta rock and caliche out here. My backyard is on the uphill side. House
is on a side of a hill. Front yard is decent. Backyard is fighting native
grasses/weeds. Got topsoil from the house halfway to the fenceline in the
back. This soil transition line is where the fighting is. You may be
thinking, why don't I drop some more topsoil there? Can't do too much
topsoil in the back at once, it will wash to the house. Spent all late
winter and spring doing the front including bringing in more topsoil and
building retaining wall. Its now hot, and I'm tired. Will drop all them
coffee grounds on the transition line, see what happens.

My garden has billions of jalapenos (fruit), a few watermelons. The
cantaloupe may succumb to the heat. They're flowering though.
Cross-pollination may be interesting.

One question, how do I tame the watermelon? They string all over the place.
Just cut them to length? Don't want to shock them into not growing at all.
Dave

Old 09-08-2007, 05:36 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Dave wrote:

My garden has billions of jalapenos (fruit), a few watermelons.

There's a recipe in there. Probably give you the runs though.

coffee grounds from cold press coffee user Roses 4 01-05-2004 04:03 PM
Coffee grounds to keep out cats? Polar Edible Gardening 9 29-04-2003 11:56 AM
NPK of Coffee Grounds Ryunen Gardening 1 01-03-2003 05:27 AM
[IBC] Fw: Coffee grounds Jim Lewis Bonsai 2 22-02-2003 04:27 PM
Coffee grounds Theo Bonsai 0 22-02-2003 08:15 AM