Old 09-08-2007, 02:33 PM posted to aus.gardens
FarmI FarmI is offline

Default vines for sheds

"Chookie" wrote in message
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:

Now if anyone can give me the name of the beautifully-scented
soft-yellow
rose that you occasionally see growing outside 1930s houses...?

Any more info than that? What does the bush look like? how full is the
rose? Is it a soft yellow, a strong yellow? Does it have any flushes of
other colour? etc

Well, it looks like a rose-bush -- the ordinary kind of rose you see in
suburban gardens (think of the form of a "Peace" rose, though it doesn't
seem to grow as tall). New growth is that lovely maroon. The flower is
a soft
yellow, almost a buff, tending to apricot. It's not a really complex rose
like "Buff Beauty", but has a similar colour. In shape of the flower and
number of petals it is rather like "Peace". The flower is not large like
"Blue Moon", but it certainly isn't small like R. banksiae either. The
petals
are thick, not thin like "Iceberg". I have no idea about flowering season
as
the bushes I have seen have not been cared-for. The scent is delicate and
fresh -- I've smelt a lot of unpleasantly soapy modern roses (as well as
the
unscented ones -- why bother, I ask!).

Does that help? I have occasionally browsed rose books in an effort to
find
out what it is, but without success.

Probably a HT given the age and the bush shape and the fact that it has
individual moderate sized flowers. That narrows it a bit, but not a lot.
I'll start trawlign through my rose books to see if I can find anything that
would fit a release time of late 1920s to say late 1930s of that solour and
size and new growth colour. Don't hold your breathe though.

Have you thought of just knocking on the door of one of these houses with
one of these roses and asking for a cutting or two? I've never yet found
anyone who doesn't like talking about their plants (even those who don't
seem to fit the mould of what I'd think of as "gardeners")?