Old 10-08-2007, 06:21 AM posted to aus.gardens
Jon[_3_] Jon[_3_] is offline

Default brushwood fencing

We will cross you off our list of suspects.
The fires are still being lit and its "Guy Fawke's"

John Savage wrote:
"jones" writes:
What are your opinion on this type of fencing for privacy.

Is it durable?
Does it rot?
Does it last?

Is brushwood that stuff made up of thousands of thin sticks all tightly
bundled together? I'd hate to have the job of tying them into the bundles.

It seems surprisingly long lasting. Doesn't seem to rot, but maybe if it
was standing on swampy soil it might. I'd say it will be good for 30+
years here in Sydney, just make sure the posts are as longlasting.

They have one serious downside. (I'll whisper in case there are any
school children listening.... but these fences are not recommended for
properties in those areas where bored teenagers have discovered that
a boring Friday night can be turned into Guy Faux night with just a
splash of something flammable! I think it was Melb that some years ago
suffered a serial brushwood-fence firebug; something like two or three
dozen fences went up in flames. Scary if it's alongside your home. And
I wouldn't think these fences would be a wise choice if you are near
bushland because of the obvious vulnerability to bushfire.)
--
John Savage (who, for the record, has never lived in Melbourne!)