Old 10-08-2007, 09:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
judith[_2_] judith[_2_] is offline

Default is it necessary to prick out seedlings?

On Thu, 09 Aug 2007 23:22:43 GMT, "Janice"
wrote:

Hi If I only need a dozen plants of tomatoes and peppers etc is it better to
sow the seeds 2 to a 3 inch pot and pull out the weakest or sow a dozen
seeds in a small tray then prick them out to 3 inch pots? Or is pricking out
only done to save space in the propagator?

Thanks Jan.

Tomatoes - I put individual seeds in seed tray - about 24 seeds to
tray.
When they are big enough (1st set of real leaves) I put each in a
three inch pot (use all of them).

When ready to transplant in to ten-inch pots select the ones you want
and give the others away.