Old 11-08-2007, 02:19 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Ray B Ray B is offline

Default Black mould deposits,home remedy?

Clean leaves? Why do you need to clean the leaves?

No joking. I water overhead with a heavy mist containing fertilizer at
every watering, and I don't see spots, mold, or anything.

This is not a "shot" at you, but a query to discern what's so different in
our culture that would necessitate such a significant different MO.

"keith" wrote in message
Hi Ray, i get it over the winter months and do not clean the leaves very
much,in fact hardly ever.This is one cultural change i need to make ,i
need to clean the leaves more often instead of letting the dust /mold etc
build up.
I am sure i dont have scale/mealy bug i find they are easy to spot,i only
seem to have trouble sometimes with mites.
Cheers Keith

"Ray B" wrote in message
I hope you're right, but don't be so sure....

The sooty mold often grows on excretions from the bugs. Personally, that
is the ONLY time I ever see it.

"Keith Kent" wrote in message

"Weng" wrote in message

Keith Kent;737998 Wrote:
Anyone know a home remedy to clean the mould off leaves/stems.I was
doing a
clean up and water with a tooth brush gets rid of most.But still left
the
more stubborn stains.
Thanks Keith

Sooty mould is only unsightly. You have an infestation of sap suckers
- scale & mealy bugs are the usual culprits.

Weng

Hi i dont have scale or mealy,just sooty mold.
Thanks Keith