Old 09-08-2007, 10:11 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Black mould deposits,home remedy?

Anyone know a home remedy to clean the mould off leaves/stems.I was doing a
clean up and water with a tooth brush gets rid of most.But still left the
more stubborn stains.
Thanks Keith

Old 09-08-2007, 10:20 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

"Keith Kent" wrote in message
Anyone know a home remedy to clean the mould off leaves/stems.I was doing
a clean up and water with a tooth brush gets rid of most.But still left
the more stubborn stains.
Thanks Keith

I have just been reading the home remedies on first rays,anybody tried and
tested them?
Cheers Keith

Old 09-08-2007, 10:26 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

I have tried a few of them.

Black mold on orchid leaves may be just mold, or it might be the precursor
to an insect infestation (Mealies, if I remember correctly).

I actually designed Rise & Shine as a cleaner/insecticide.

Old 10-08-2007, 12:30 PM
Registered User

Location: England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Kent View Post
Anyone know a home remedy to clean the mould off leaves/stems.I was doing a
clean up and water with a tooth brush gets rid of most.But still left the
more stubborn stains.
Thanks Keith
Sooty mould is only unsightly. You have an infestation of sap suckers - scale & mealy bugs are the usual culprits.

Weng
Old 10-08-2007, 05:08 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

"Weng" wrote in message

Keith Kent;737998 Wrote:
Anyone know a home remedy to clean the mould off leaves/stems.I was
doing a
clean up and water with a tooth brush gets rid of most.But still left
the
more stubborn stains.
Thanks Keith

Sooty mould is only unsightly. You have an infestation of sap suckers
- scale & mealy bugs are the usual culprits.

Weng

Hi i dont have scale or mealy,just sooty mold.

Thanks Keith

Old 10-08-2007, 05:23 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

I hope you're right, but don't be so sure....

The sooty mold often grows on excretions from the bugs. Personally, that is
the ONLY time I ever see it.

Old 11-08-2007, 12:43 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Hi Ray, i get it over the winter months and do not clean the leaves very
much,in fact hardly ever.This is one cultural change i need to make ,i need
to clean the leaves more often instead of letting the dust /mold etc build
up.
I am sure i dont have scale/mealy bug i find they are easy to spot,i only
seem to have trouble sometimes with mites.
Cheers Keith

Old 11-08-2007, 02:19 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Clean leaves? Why do you need to clean the leaves?

No joking. I water overhead with a heavy mist containing fertilizer at
every watering, and I don't see spots, mold, or anything.

This is not a "shot" at you, but a query to discern what's so different in
our culture that would necessitate such a significant different MO.

Old 11-08-2007, 11:42 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

All i can put it down too is all my plants were in a 10x8 greenhouse which
was full so air circulation was probaly not the best.I have moved them into
there new home 28x12 which prescents me with new extremes all over again to
get right.I have just installed the hydrofogger so am trying to get the
right temp with humidity,which is a task.As you know you open doors/vent
humidity drops ,you close up the temps rocket.So i am in tinkering mode
,then the autumn/winter period will be here to get through for the first
time with this orchid house.
So will have to see how the mold goes, it was only some plants,so think
localised conditions in the greenhouse caused this,ie plants crammed in the
corner due to lack of space.Will also keep my eye on the nasties.
Thanks Keith
news88vi.48$jy5.12@trnddc07...

Old 11-08-2007, 01:34 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Ah HAH! That makes good sense Keith, and is something I can relate to.

I completely redid the benches within my GH a couple of years ago, and it
made a huge difference in the overall vitality of the plants not having them
crammed together.

news88vi.48$jy5.12@trnddc07...

"Keith Kent" wrote in message

"Weng" wrote in message

Keith Kent;737998 Wrote:
Anyone know a home remedy to clean the mould off leaves/stems.I was
doing a
clean up and water with a tooth brush gets rid of most.But still
left
the
more stubborn stains.
Thanks Keith

Sooty mould is only unsightly. You have an infestation of sap
suckers
- scale & mealy bugs are the usual culprits.

Weng

Hi i dont have scale or mealy,just sooty mold.
Thanks Keith

Home remedy Q from FirstRays. keith kent Orchids 8 05-10-2007 06:12 PM
REMEDY FOR BLACK SPOTS! honey-do Roses 9 14-07-2004 01:02 PM
[IBC] Mineral deposits (was: [IBC] a Winter project??? Craig Cowing Bonsai 0 19-08-2003 02:04 AM
cats and their deposits teepegger United Kingdom 16 17-07-2003 11:54 AM
[IBC] lime deposits on pots -- a report of an experiment Jim Lewis Bonsai 12 25-02-2003 08:06 PM