Old 11-08-2007, 11:42 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
keith keith is offline

Default Black mould deposits,home remedy?

All i can put it down too is all my plants were in a 10x8 greenhouse which
was full so air circulation was probaly not the best.I have moved them into
there new home 28x12 which prescents me with new extremes all over again to
get right.I have just installed the hydrofogger so am trying to get the
right temp with humidity,which is a task.As you know you open doors/vent
humidity drops ,you close up the temps rocket.So i am in tinkering mode
,then the autumn/winter period will be here to get through for the first
time with this orchid house.
So will have to see how the mold goes, it was only some plants,so think
localised conditions in the greenhouse caused this,ie plants crammed in the
corner due to lack of space.Will also keep my eye on the nasties.
Thanks Keith
"Ray B" wrote in message
news88vi.48$jy5.12@trnddc07...
Clean leaves? Why do you need to clean the leaves?

No joking. I water overhead with a heavy mist containing fertilizer at
every watering, and I don't see spots, mold, or anything.

This is not a "shot" at you, but a query to discern what's so different in
our culture that would necessitate such a significant different MO.

"keith" wrote in message
Hi Ray, i get it over the winter months and do not clean the leaves very
much,in fact hardly ever.This is one cultural change i need to make ,i
need to clean the leaves more often instead of letting the dust /mold etc
build up.
I am sure i dont have scale/mealy bug i find they are easy to spot,i only
seem to have trouble sometimes with mites.
Cheers Keith

"Ray B" wrote in message
I hope you're right, but don't be so sure....

The sooty mold often grows on excretions from the bugs. Personally,
that is the ONLY time I ever see it.

"Keith Kent" wrote in message

"Weng" wrote in message

Keith Kent;737998 Wrote:
Anyone know a home remedy to clean the mould off leaves/stems.I was
doing a
clean up and water with a tooth brush gets rid of most.But still left
the
more stubborn stains.
Thanks Keith

Sooty mould is only unsightly. You have an infestation of sap suckers
- scale & mealy bugs are the usual culprits.

Weng

Hi i dont have scale or mealy,just sooty mold.
Thanks Keith