Old 11-08-2007, 05:29 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Reel McKoi[_6_] Reel McKoi[_6_] is offline

Default another snake story

"Phyllis and Jim" wrote in message
ups.com...
Relocation is an interesting idea. Our lake is a bit small for
relocation to work. Water mocassins take very poorly to being
captured and tend to be very aggressive when disturbed. They are
different from most of the snakes around here. The aggression leaves
kids around the lake (there are a lot of them and it is a long 10 acre
lake) quite at risk. There have been bites when kids were exploring
the shore reeds. We leave the water snakes alone (although they can
also be pretty aggressive...just no venom). We have not thought about
transporting the poisonous snakes to another venue (certainly not
someone else's pond). That would involve folk in capturing the snakes
and a good bit of danger. To date, extermination has been the
response to poisonous snakes.

It's a shame you don't have a creek or river or somewhere safe to release
it. Everything has a purpose and if possible we should try and preserve
life. We're pushing too many other creatures to extinction. But if it's
legal to kill them where you live and they're not endangered, it may be the
best way for you to go.
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.