Old 11-08-2007, 10:17 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Mark_OK Mark_OK is offline

Default Phal Secondary Bloom

As long as the spike is green there is always a chance. More than likely the
blooms won't be as many or as large but hey it's better than nothing.

Some that I let send off a secondary spike I try my hand at pollinating to
see if I can get a seed pod. One of my favorite Phals with very large - 5"
across - white flowers I did this and now have three seed pods. What I'm
going to do with them I haven't decided yet. I don't think I will go to the
trouble of try to grow them in a flask.

"Maddie" wrote in message
I once read that you can encourage a secondary blooming on a phal but
cutting it just above the second node from the bottom. I did this and it's
been about 6-8 weeks with no sign of the spike growing again. Should I
just cut the spike all the way to the bottom?

Thanks.

Maddie