Old 12-08-2007, 02:50 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Bill Stock Bill Stock is offline

Default Gravity fed skimmer help

"~ jan" wrote in message
On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 21:18:30 CST, "Bill Stock" wrote:

I planned to have a vertical pipe outside the pond leading down to the
bottom drain pipe. The skimmer pipe would pass through the liner and into
the vertical pipe.

This is where people get in trouble with that U I'm talking about. They
don't bring the pipe in low enough to accommodate the pot and the floating
part at highest level, so they then go down, over, and up as the
connection
is under the pot. My vertical pipe comes up inside the pond, both my lily
pond and the demo pond. This gives secure support to the skimmer. Whereas
my koi pond is from the side and under, not so secure, pot sometimes get
unlevel, but that's on flex pipe, not hard.

So if coming from the side, come in low, then you're only going up. ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Thanks Jan, but how low is low? i.e. how much (minimum) below the water line
should the pipe pass through the liner?