Old 10-08-2007, 07:27 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Gravity fed skimmer help

I'm considering a skimmer and the no niche skimmer looks interesting. I see
that some of you have this gravity fed (Jan), which suits my needs. But I'm
wondering how much suction this will generate and how it is effected by
water depth, etc. (Physics lesson required) I will likely have about 3000
gph split between the bottom drain and skimmer.

Also I imagine the skimmer should be as far away form the waterfall as
possible? How do you deal with the freezing issue since the pipe to the
bottom drain will funnel cold air to the bottom drain pipe? I had planned to
run the pipe from the skimmer outside of the pond to minimize leakage, but I
suppose the inside route might solve the freezing problem.

Old 10-08-2007, 10:22 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 00:27:46 CST, "Bill Stock" wrote:

I'm considering a skimmer and the no niche skimmer looks interesting. I see
that some of you have this gravity fed (Jan), which suits my needs. But I'm
wondering how much suction this will generate and how it is effected by
water depth, etc. (Physics lesson required) I will likely have about 3000
gph split between the bottom drain and skimmer.

That should be plenty. I only have half that. We removed edging inside the
floating part so the bubble isn't so big. It is really only good, with my
gph, to keep the surface clear of small stuff, dust, pollen, bits of
leaves. Once in a while I'll find a whole leaf in there. Lots of times the
few I get just collect along the outside. With good flow they work really
well, just make sure you don't do this U shape design close to the pond
edge. People with large koi have had them get stuck between the pot and the
sides of their pond.

Also I imagine the skimmer should be as far away form the waterfall as
possible? How do you deal with the freezing issue since the pipe to the
bottom drain will funnel cold air to the bottom drain pipe? I had planned to
run the pipe from the skimmer outside of the pond to minimize leakage, but I
suppose the inside route might solve the freezing problem.

I'm not sure what you're asking. In winter my bottom drain is plugged, and
just the skimmer runs. To keep ice away from it I have the stock tank
heater next to it.

In the lily pond the floating part of the skimmer will be removed as I'm
not planning to run that filter all winter. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 11-08-2007, 04:18 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"~ jan" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 00:27:46 CST, "Bill Stock" wrote:

Also I imagine the skimmer should be as far away form the waterfall as
possible? How do you deal with the freezing issue since the pipe to the
bottom drain will funnel cold air to the bottom drain pipe? I had planned
run the pipe from the skimmer outside of the pond to minimize leakage, but
suppose the inside route might solve the freezing problem.

I'm not sure what you're asking. In winter my bottom drain is plugged, and
just the skimmer runs. To keep ice away from it I have the stock tank
heater next to it.

I planned to have a vertical pipe outside the pond leading down to the
bottom drain pipe. The skimmer pipe would pass through the liner and into
the vertical pipe. Since the shutoff valve would be near the filter (i.e.
the bottom drain pipe would be full of water) the water in the skimmer pipe
would be full to the level of the pond. This would be well above the frost
line. Although I believe the flexible PVC is fairly frost resistant.

I guess I could install a sonotube at the ponds edge to hose my secondary
valve (before the skimmer) and the skimmer down tube.

Old 11-08-2007, 11:54 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 21:18:30 CST, "Bill Stock" wrote:

I planned to have a vertical pipe outside the pond leading down to the
bottom drain pipe. The skimmer pipe would pass through the liner and into
the vertical pipe.

This is where people get in trouble with that U I'm talking about. They
don't bring the pipe in low enough to accommodate the pot and the floating
part at highest level, so they then go down, over, and up as the connection
is under the pot. My vertical pipe comes up inside the pond, both my lily
pond and the demo pond. This gives secure support to the skimmer. Whereas
my koi pond is from the side and under, not so secure, pot sometimes get
unlevel, but that's on flex pipe, not hard.

So if coming from the side, come in low, then you're only going up. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 12-08-2007, 02:50 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"~ jan" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks Jan, but how low is low? i.e. how much (minimum) below the water line
should the pipe pass through the liner?

Old 13-08-2007, 08:05 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Thanks Jan, but how low is low? i.e. how much (minimum) below the water line
should the pipe pass through the liner?

Measure from elbow at the bottom of pot, to the highest point the float
ring might be at. ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Rate This Thread: