Old 12-08-2007, 06:20 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
JB[_1_] JB[_1_] is offline

Default New riding mower purchase

Sorry to hear of your troubles. If you've already purchased the missing
bolt, washer and cotter pin, what is it that you want the extended warranty
folks to do?

"Dave" wrote in message
At a local Lowes, I purchased the Troy Bilt Pony model on Thursday, August
2nd at 11:30 a.m. Also, on the same sales receipt, I purchased the 4 year
extended warranty coverage, and delivery. Delivery was scheduled on
Sunday morning between 10-12.

Sunday, August 5, a person identifying himself as the driver for
deliveries for Lowes said he could not find any such riding lawnmower in
the store. He said he would pick one up the following day at another
store with ample supply. No such delivery occurred on Monday. Not even a
phone call. Monday evening, I wrote a complaint via Lowes feedback at
their website.

Wednesday, I received the riding lawnmower I purchased on the previous
Thursday. Inspected the mower, all appeared okay. Put some gas in it.
Was off mowing already. After mowing about a 1/4 acre, noticed the
deck/blade shroud was dragging on the ground. Disengaged the blade,
parked near the detached garage.

Upon inspection, concluded a rod was supposed to be holding the RH side of
the deck up off the ground. The LH side was like that. The rod on the RH
side was observable hanging in the wind. The mounting area on the deck
appeared undamaged. The operator's manual shows a pictorial of exactly
that. The rod goes through a mounting area on the deck, and is secured
with a cotter pin. A nut, washer, and bolt in the same pictorial was not
there either in the same area. This holds the swing arm for the blade
adjustment height, which mounts to the deck.

Thursday, August 9th, I called the number for the extended warranty plan.
Man said to check with Troy Bilt or the Local Lowes for the pin first,
then get back with him if no luck. Troy Bilt could not locate the cotter
pin. Lowes (one of many managers there) said I had to deliver the riding
mower for repairs, or, to get a replacement. (I don't have a ramp to put
the riding mower on my pickup).

Called the extended warranty number back. A woman answered, this time,
was completely different. She asked for my model and serial number to
record in their records along with data from my Lowes sales receipt. She
got a number and name of qualified repair outfit to work on my mower.
They will pick it up free. She arranged repairs.

In the meantime since, I went online and purchased the missing nut, bolt,
washer, and cotter pin. And, the deck wash nozzle, and hose adapter for
it from the mtdonline website.

Today's Sunday, August 12. Haven't heard from the repair outfit yet. Not
a happy camper.
Dave