Old 12-08-2007, 07:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Des Higgins Des Higgins is offline

Default Red hot poker variety?

On Aug 12, 4:27 pm, Stewart Robert Hinsley
wrote:
In message , Des Higgins
writesRed hot pokers: I have tried buying from the usual garden centres but it is
hard to buy them in flower and to check the flower colour so I wondered if
anyone knew any varieties that are easy to get and that are BIG and have
deep coloured (red or orange) flowers. I always seem to end up with watery
washed out flowers. I was in the west of Ireland yesterday and saw some
colossal specimens in peoples front gardens (almost 2 metre tall flower
spikes) with very vivid orange and yellow flowers. I would like to get one
and do not want to sneak into someones front garden to try to dig out a
lump. If I ask the owner which variety, Irish people hate not knowing the
answer to anything (it is too unhelpful) and I will get a long chat but no
answer. Irish gardeners never know garden varieties; they always got any
given plant from Mrs Byrne up the road or sometimes her sister in Galway.
Des in Dublin

The brightest red among (identified varieties among) my photographs,
assuming it was correctly labelled, is Kniphofia ichopensis 'John
Benary'. But, IIRC, this is not one of the more robust varieties - but
not one of the most delicate either.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Thanks Stewart!! Only one I have to go on so far. I will have a
quick google.

Des