Old 12-08-2007, 11:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Red hot poker variety?

Red hot pokers: I have tried buying from the usual garden centres but it is
hard to buy them in flower and to check the flower colour so I wondered if
anyone knew any varieties that are easy to get and that are BIG and have
deep coloured (red or orange) flowers. I always seem to end up with watery
washed out flowers. I was in the west of Ireland yesterday and saw some
colossal specimens in peoples front gardens (almost 2 metre tall flower
spikes) with very vivid orange and yellow flowers. I would like to get one
and do not want to sneak into someones front garden to try to dig out a
lump. If I ask the owner which variety, Irish people hate not knowing the
answer to anything (it is too unhelpful) and I will get a long chat but no
answer. Irish gardeners never know garden varieties; they always got any
given plant from Mrs Byrne up the road or sometimes her sister in Galway.
Des in Dublin

Old 12-08-2007, 04:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Des Higgins
writes
[...]

The brightest red among (identified varieties among) my photographs,
assuming it was correctly labelled, is Kniphofia ichopensis 'John
Benary'. But, IIRC, this is not one of the more robust varieties - but
not one of the most delicate either.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 12-08-2007, 07:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 12, 4:27 pm, Stewart Robert Hinsley
wrote:
In message , Des Higgins
writesRed hot pokers: I have tried buying from the usual garden centres but it is
[...]

Thanks Stewart!! Only one I have to go on so far. I will have a
quick google.

Des

Old 12-08-2007, 08:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 11:51:21 +0100, "Des Higgins"
wrote:

[...]

K. Rooperi, K. x Prince Igor, K. Uvaria Nobilis all have large flowers
of orange and yellow as you describe, on stems typically in excess of
5 ft. (well, they do in my garden!). The flower heads of K. Rooperi
are a bit more rounded than the norm (but by no means spherical). The
gardens of St. Michael's Mount in west Cornwall are ablaze with them
in late summer.

Fir Tree Farm Nursery in Cornwall stock some 60 species and varieties,
including the above, and do mail order: www.cornwallgardens.com

--
Chris

Old 12-08-2007, 09:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

Thanks Chris!

--
Chris

Hot hot hot hot! PC Australia 1 10-01-2010 11:38 AM
Purple Hot Poker Delboy United Kingdom 4 14-08-2007 11:52 PM
Cutting back Knifophia (Red Hot Poker) huerochingon Gardening 6 08-06-2005 04:10 PM
Red Hot poker division Rosie United Kingdom 1 13-03-2003 12:13 AM