Old 12-08-2007, 07:27 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Default Taxo Info as per RGO

Hi, Guys,

There is an extensive thread in rgo on this subject. I don't think anyone is
going to run out and start changing tags right away. As to your thoughts,
Roy, your way simply makes too much sense to win any votes from the RHS!

Diana

"Roy" wrote in message
Hi Dave,

I'm not against change, but I look at change in terms of 'value add'. I
just do not find any credable 'value add' to these type of changes.

Roy

"Dave Gillingham" wrote in message
Roy, I just love your description - it's soooo true for 95% of the

taxonomic
restructures I've seen (speaking as an entirely non-scientific grower).

Very
occasionally I see what seems to me to be a valid reason for restructure.

eg, I
can't really argue with the removal to a new genus of the Dockrillias
from

the
Dendrobes (though I'm told Dockrill himself doesn't agree with it).

On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 20:47:15 -0400, "Roy" wrote:

Diana

Why don't we just avoid this "academic make work project" and use the
old
classifacations?

Roy

"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
. ..
Rats. Didn't work; the RHS links don't show. I'm trying it in rgo. If

that
doesn't work I'll copy the links later today and post them on rgo.

Diana

"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
Here's the original from Alex Maximiano.

OrchidWiz Alert: Name Changes

We would like to bring to your attention a recent change in genus

names
in
the International Register of Orchid Hybrids maintained by the RHS.

The
change stems from the separation of Rhyncholaelia from Brassavola;
Guarianthe from Cattleya; the change from Brazilian Laelias to
Sophronites; and the separation of Schomburgkia into Myrmecophila
and
Laelia.

The changes to Laeliinae species caused a massive domino effect
throughout
hybrid nomenclature, impacting many thousands of crosses. The
transformation is drastic and inescapable. To give you some examples

of
popular hybrids affected:

Brassolaeliocattleya Goldenzelle in now Rhynchosophrocattleya
Goldenzelle
(click link to see)

Sophrolaeliocattleya Hazel Boyd is now Guarisophleya Hazel Boyd

Cattleytonia Why Not is now Guaritonia Why Not

Laeliocattleya Trick or Treat is now Sophranthe Trick or Treat

Cattleya Chocolate Drop is now Cattlianthe Chocolate Drop

Brassocattleya Maikai is now Brassanthe Maikai

Brassolaeliocattleya Momilani Rainbow is now Thwaitesara Momilani
Rainbow

Brassolaelia Morning Glory is now Brassonitis Morning Glory

Brassolaeliocattleya Golden Tang is now Marriottara Golden Tang

Epilaeliocattleya Don Herman is now Epicatanthe Don Herman

Otaara Jane Fumiye is now Peetersara Jane Fumiye

The new nomenclature in effect obsoletes all currently-published

orchid
databases. OrchidWiz has already incorporated the changes into
Encyclopedia 4.01 (the September update) which will start shipping
in
the
next few days. The new version will include thousands of new
registrations
as well as the June AQ. Please note all existing awards, contributed
photos and other historical data will remain under the old names

which
will be "aliased" (linked) to the new names.

If you subscribe to the Annual Maintenance Plan you will be
receiving
the
update in the mail within a week or two. From now on we are holding

all
new orders of 4.0 (or upgrades to 4.0) until the new software ships.

We thank you for your patience on this matter. If you have
questions,
comments or concerns, please contact .

Best wishes,

- The team at OrchidWiz