Old 08-08-2007, 06:46 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Default Taxo Info as per RGO

Here's the original from Alex Maximiano.

OrchidWiz Alert: Name Changes

We would like to bring to your attention a recent change in genus names in
the International Register of Orchid Hybrids maintained by the RHS. The
change stems from the separation of Rhyncholaelia from Brassavola;
Guarianthe from Cattleya; the change from Brazilian Laelias to Sophronites;
and the separation of Schomburgkia into Myrmecophila and Laelia.

The changes to Laeliinae species caused a massive domino effect throughout
hybrid nomenclature, impacting many thousands of crosses. The transformation
is drastic and inescapable. To give you some examples of popular hybrids
affected:

Brassolaeliocattleya Goldenzelle in now Rhynchosophrocattleya Goldenzelle
(click link to see)

Sophrolaeliocattleya Hazel Boyd is now Guarisophleya Hazel Boyd

Cattleytonia Why Not is now Guaritonia Why Not

Laeliocattleya Trick or Treat is now Sophranthe Trick or Treat

Cattleya Chocolate Drop is now Cattlianthe Chocolate Drop

Brassocattleya Maikai is now Brassanthe Maikai

Brassolaeliocattleya Momilani Rainbow is now Thwaitesara Momilani Rainbow

Brassolaelia Morning Glory is now Brassonitis Morning Glory

Brassolaeliocattleya Golden Tang is now Marriottara Golden Tang

Epilaeliocattleya Don Herman is now Epicatanthe Don Herman

Otaara Jane Fumiye is now Peetersara Jane Fumiye

The new nomenclature in effect obsoletes all currently-published orchid
databases. OrchidWiz has already incorporated the changes into Encyclopedia
4.01 (the September update) which will start shipping in the next few days.
The new version will include thousands of new registrations as well as the
June AQ. Please note all existing awards, contributed photos and other
historical data will remain under the old names which will be "aliased"
(linked) to the new names.

If you subscribe to the Annual Maintenance Plan you will be receiving the
update in the mail within a week or two. From now on we are holding all new
orders of 4.0 (or upgrades to 4.0) until the new software ships.

We thank you for your patience on this matter. If you have questions,
comments or concerns, please contact .

Best wishes,

- The team at OrchidWiz

OrchidWiz, LLC.
235 NE 91st Street
Miami Shores, Florida 33138

Attached Images
File Type: gif pwrby_vr_logo_120.gif (1.9 KB, 87 views)

Old 12-08-2007, 01:47 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Diana

Why don't we just avoid this "academic make work project" and use the old
classifacations?

Roy

------
OrchidWiz, LLC.
235 NE 91st Street
Miami Shores, Florida 33138

Old 12-08-2007, 04:51 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Roy, I just love your description - it's soooo true for 95% of the taxonomic
restructures I've seen (speaking as an entirely non-scientific grower). Very
occasionally I see what seems to me to be a valid reason for restructure. eg, I
can't really argue with the removal to a new genus of the Dockrillias from the
Dendrobes (though I'm told Dockrill himself doesn't agree with it).

On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 20:47:15 -0400, "Roy" wrote:

Diana

Why don't we just avoid this "academic make work project" and use the old
classifacations?

Roy

"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Dave Gillingham
Old 12-08-2007, 04:34 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Hi Dave,

I'm not against change, but I look at change in terms of 'value add'. I
just do not find any credable 'value add' to these type of changes.

Roy

-
------
OrchidWiz, LLC.
235 NE 91st Street
Miami Shores, Florida 33138

Dave Gillingham

----

Old 12-08-2007, 07:27 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Hi, Guys,

There is an extensive thread in rgo on this subject. I don't think anyone is
going to run out and start changing tags right away. As to your thoughts,
Roy, your way simply makes too much sense to win any votes from the RHS!

Diana

following link: Unsubscribe

-
------
OrchidWiz, LLC.
235 NE 91st Street
Miami Shores, Florida 33138

Dave Gillingham

----

Old 13-08-2007, 05:06 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

What surprises me is that, in my understanding, the RHS over here has the
reputation of being extremely conservative. They seem to be treating some of
the taxonomic restructures of Aussie orchids with a great deal of caution. Even
with the Dockrillias which I mentioned in my previous post, they have two bob
each way & list the species under both Dendrobium and Dockrillia. Then they drop
this bombshell on what we would regard as some of the exotics.

Old 13-08-2007, 01:39 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Ray B wrote:
Maybe they (Julian?) just got tired of "bobbing".

It seems to me that such an issue would be best treated by a
wait-and-see attitude: give it 20 (or 10) years and see if it sticks. I
mean, no-one has taken this Laelia to Sophronitis thing seriously - it
was just an idea w3hich has now been passed over. At least if they're
going to make changes, they should stick to those on firmer footing.
Old 14-08-2007, 05:04 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Oops! Cultural slang - sorry Ray & others. Horse racing for a start - a modest
each way bet. "Two bob" from the days before we went to decimal currency - a
two shilling piece (20 cents today) was known as "two bob", from our British
heritage. Not sure of the etymology of "bob". So today, if you're sitting on
the fence (I hope that's not another bit of local patois?) you're "having two
bob each way".