Old 13-08-2007, 12:23 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Willshak Willshak is offline

Default Ants or bees or what?

on 8/12/2007 3:06 PM Eigenvector said the following:
Are these anthills/holes in my sideyard? I'd love to get rid of them and
stop the invasion of moles in my yard. Presumably the moles are looking for
the insects.

http://photos.imageevent.com/eigenve...e/P8120119.JPG

They look rather large. Too big for ants, too small for mammals. No dirt
piles around the holes. Too many, too close to each other, to be
openings to a nest.
My guess would be Japanese Beetles, Locusts, Cicadas, or similar. Their
nymphs buried in the ground coming to the surface before moulting into
adults. Look for discarded skins nearby.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY