Old 13-08-2007, 06:31 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Dave Dave is offline

Default New riding mower purchase

NOT to claim they have to order the parts, and me wait another month or
more. If the repair facility doesn't contact me soon, I'll do it myself. I
got over an acre to mow. This don't change, irregardless of mower
condition, extended warranty, or whatever. If the mower is broke down hard,
like a broke engine or whatever, I have no choice. I won't attempt such a
fix.

I will continue to bad-mouth Lowes. The guy at the Troy Bilt phone number
is of the opinion Lowes should come out and pick it up free since they
delivered a mower that fell apart in less than an hour.

No Eggs, I didn't run over anything except grass and weeds, or impact
anything. I've mowed the same area for 2 seasons with a push mower. The
mounting area is undamaged including the paint, for the bolt. Its a 1/4"
diameter bolt. How it got out of its mounting area without damaging
anything is rather obvious to me. Can see the cotter pin severed with
enough horizontal force to left or right if the rod didn't allow flex. The
LH side is carrying on smartly in all respects.

The riding mowers are assembled locally by the local store. Can be
purchased unassembled inbox. My bad.
Dave

"JB" wrote in message
Sorry to hear of your troubles. If you've already purchased the missing
bolt, washer and cotter pin, what is it that you want the extended
warranty folks to do?

"Dave" wrote in message
At a local Lowes, I purchased the Troy Bilt Pony model on Thursday,
August 2nd at 11:30 a.m. Also, on the same sales receipt, I purchased
the 4 year extended warranty coverage, and delivery. Delivery was
scheduled on Sunday morning between 10-12.

Sunday, August 5, a person identifying himself as the driver for
deliveries for Lowes said he could not find any such riding lawnmower in
the store. He said he would pick one up the following day at another
store with ample supply. No such delivery occurred on Monday. Not even
a phone call. Monday evening, I wrote a complaint via Lowes feedback at
their website.

Wednesday, I received the riding lawnmower I purchased on the previous
Thursday. Inspected the mower, all appeared okay. Put some gas in it.
Was off mowing already. After mowing about a 1/4 acre, noticed the
deck/blade shroud was dragging on the ground. Disengaged the blade,
parked near the detached garage.

Upon inspection, concluded a rod was supposed to be holding the RH side
of the deck up off the ground. The LH side was like that. The rod on
the RH side was observable hanging in the wind. The mounting area on the
deck appeared undamaged. The operator's manual shows a pictorial of
exactly that. The rod goes through a mounting area on the deck, and is
secured with a cotter pin. A nut, washer, and bolt in the same pictorial
was not there either in the same area. This holds the swing arm for the
blade adjustment height, which mounts to the deck.

Thursday, August 9th, I called the number for the extended warranty plan.
Man said to check with Troy Bilt or the Local Lowes for the pin first,
then get back with him if no luck. Troy Bilt could not locate the cotter
pin. Lowes (one of many managers there) said I had to deliver the riding
mower for repairs, or, to get a replacement. (I don't have a ramp to put
the riding mower on my pickup).

Called the extended warranty number back. A woman answered, this time,
was completely different. She asked for my model and serial number to
record in their records along with data from my Lowes sales receipt. She
got a number and name of qualified repair outfit to work on my mower.
They will pick it up free. She arranged repairs.

In the meantime since, I went online and purchased the missing nut, bolt,
washer, and cotter pin. And, the deck wash nozzle, and hose adapter for
it from the mtdonline website.

Today's Sunday, August 12. Haven't heard from the repair outfit yet.
Not a happy camper.
Dave