Old 13-08-2007, 09:35 AM
echinosum echinosum is offline
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerboa View Post
I was looking to purchase some Fargesia Nitida, but have been told that it is currently flowering and any that I purchase will probably die. Is this true?
The first is true, the latter false (except in the long term). The most common form of nitida in the horticultural trade has been flowering, and many dead nitidas can be seen in people's gardens. But not all forms, eg, not the F nitida Jiuzhaigou number 2 which I have in my garden.

The flowering has lasted for several years, and new generation post-flowering stock raised from seed is now available. Even the new generation will eventually die, but probably not for a century or so.