Old 04-11-2003, 07:02 AM
Gerboa

Default Fargesia Nitida

I was looking to purchase some Fargesia Nitida, but have been told
that it is currently flowering and any that I purchase will probably
die. Is this true?
Old 04-11-2003, 12:22 PM
hermine stover

On Mon, 03 Nov 2003 23:45:54 -0600, Gerboa wrote:

I was looking to purchase some Fargesia Nitida, but have been told
that it is currently flowering and any that I purchase will probably
die. Is this true?

mine is not in flower, nor have I heard of this event; however, it is
likely that a clumping bamboo will produce fertile seed. and it is not
always true that a flowering clumping bamboo will die, but it may; the
flowering and seed production is a way of revising and renewing the
gene pool of the plant.

hermine
Old 12-11-2003, 06:47 PM
hermine stover

On Mon, 03 Nov 2003 23:45:54 -0600, Gerboa wrote:

I was looking to purchase some Fargesia Nitida, but have been told
that it is currently flowering and any that I purchase will probably
die. Is this true?

OURS is not; however in a nursery in the state of Washington, it is in
flower. I have no way of knowing if ours is of the same clone and due
to flower, but we withdraw from sale any bamboo which has been in
flower until ours either does or does not. the up side is, the flowers
will probably yield fertile seed, and many rejuvenated plantlets will
be produced, renewing the species for us and for itself. i would wait
this one out.

hermine
http://www.endangeredspecies.com

Old 07-07-2007, 03:47 AM posted to rec.gardens.bamboo

I have one that has been flowering since late winter, I'm hoping for
seed. I have noted that some nurseries are selling plants come up
already from the new generation.
I have recently purchased a young specimen of the variety "red
fountain".

g.

Old 08-07-2007, 06:02 PM posted to rec.gardens.bamboo

On Jul 6, 9:47 pm, gnarl wrote:
I have one that has been flowering since late winter, I'm hoping for
seed. I have noted that some nurseries are selling plants come up
already from the new generation.
I have recently purchased a young specimen of the variety "red
fountain".

g.

On Mon, 03 Nov 2003 23:45:54 -0600, Gerboa wrote:
I was looking to purchase some Fargesia Nitida, but have been told
that it is currently flowering and any that I purchase will probably
die. Is this true?- Hide quoted text -

So far no flowwering on mine, perhaps when more mature? Z6 east
coast usa

Old 08-07-2007, 06:16 PM posted to rec.gardens.bamboo

My nitida's about had it; every time it tries to put out a leaf or to
new flowers form; the poor plant looks skelatal. Here's a link to a
photo of the bamboo posted to a bamboo forum a little while ago:

http://www.bamboocraft.net/bamboo/sh...56&ppuser=2450

g.

Old 12-08-2007, 04:28 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerboa View Post
I was looking to purchase some Fargesia Nitida, but have been told
that it is currently flowering and any that I purchase will probably
die. Is this true?
I understand it is true. But it takes many years to go around, and even if your plant flowers and is ultimately doomed, it will take a while to die, particularly if it's an instance of 'partial flowering'. It is after all, a natural event and leads to masses of seed, which can lead to new varieties. All too often, any mention of bamboo flowering brings 'gloom'. But rather than think of the glass 'half empty', think of it as being 'half full'. You can of course choose another bamboo . . . . .
__________________
www.winsfordwalledgarden.com
Large garden-based website. Gardens open daily (April-October). New Gardening forums
Old 13-08-2007, 10:35 AM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerboa View Post
I was looking to purchase some Fargesia Nitida, but have been told that it is currently flowering and any that I purchase will probably die. Is this true?
The first is true, the latter false (except in the long term). The most common form of nitida in the horticultural trade has been flowering, and many dead nitidas can be seen in people's gardens. But not all forms, eg, not the F nitida Jiuzhaigou number 2 which I have in my garden.

The flowering has lasted for several years, and new generation post-flowering stock raised from seed is now available. Even the new generation will eventually die, but probably not for a century or so.

Fargesia nitida blossoms P HO Bamboo 2 03-04-2006 05:53 PM
Do I Need to Put Barrier Around Clump Type Bamboo (Fargesia Nitida)? [email protected] Bamboo 7 08-06-2005 07:13 PM
Freeze Kill? Ficus Nitida Brandon Gardening 4 09-01-2004 11:42 PM
Fargesia murielae "Jumbo" Andrew Mackay Bamboo 1 20-05-2003 05:08 PM
Which one - murieliae or nitida? Tegan Bamboo 0 25-04-2003 07:08 PM