Old 13-08-2007, 02:17 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Clark[_2_] Clark[_2_] is offline

Default New riding mower purchase

Dave, I thought Sears and Lowes somehow have a connection, like they are
both part of the Kmart empire.
If they are the "same" company I'm not surprised, for me the Sears extended
warranty means they send out a guy to do little more than say "well that's
how they build them now.

If you want go back and look at my earlier post about my new mower, I'm sure
you can relate to them
and you'll understand Egg's joke's too

Clark

Dave wrote:
At a local Lowes, I purchased the Troy Bilt Pony model on Thursday,
August 2nd at 11:30 a.m. Also, on the same sales receipt, I
purchased the 4 year extended warranty coverage, and delivery. Delivery
was scheduled on Sunday morning between 10-12.

Sunday, August 5, a person identifying himself as the driver for
deliveries for Lowes said he could not find any such riding lawnmower
in the store. He said he would pick one up the following day at
another store with ample supply. No such delivery occurred on
Monday. Not even a phone call. Monday evening, I wrote a complaint
via Lowes feedback at their website.
Wednesday, I received the riding lawnmower I purchased on the previous
Thursday. Inspected the mower, all appeared okay. Put some gas in
it. Was off mowing already. After mowing about a 1/4 acre, noticed
the deck/blade shroud was dragging on the ground. Disengaged the
blade, parked near the detached garage.

Upon inspection, concluded a rod was supposed to be holding the RH
side of the deck up off the ground. The LH side was like that. The
rod on the RH side was observable hanging in the wind. The mounting
area on the deck appeared undamaged. The operator's manual shows a
pictorial of exactly that. The rod goes through a mounting area on
the deck, and is secured with a cotter pin. A nut, washer, and bolt
in the same pictorial was not there either in the same area. This
holds the swing arm for the blade adjustment height, which mounts to
the deck.
Thursday, August 9th, I called the number for the extended warranty
plan. Man said to check with Troy Bilt or the Local Lowes for the pin
first, then get back with him if no luck. Troy Bilt could not locate
the cotter pin. Lowes (one of many managers there) said I had to
deliver the riding mower for repairs, or, to get a replacement. (I
don't have a ramp to put the riding mower on my pickup).

Called the extended warranty number back. A woman answered, this
time, was completely different. She asked for my model and serial
number to record in their records along with data from my Lowes sales
receipt. She got a number and name of qualified repair outfit to
work on my mower. They will pick it up free. She arranged repairs.

In the meantime since, I went online and purchased the missing nut,
bolt, washer, and cotter pin. And, the deck wash nozzle, and hose
adapter for it from the mtdonline website.

Today's Sunday, August 12. Haven't heard from the repair outfit yet.
Not a happy camper.
Dave