Old 14-08-2007, 01:22 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Lar Lar is offline

Default Ants or bees or what?

Eigenvector wrote:
"Eigenvector" wrote in message
. ..

"Lar" wrote in message
. ..

Eigenvector wrote:

Are these anthills/holes in my sideyard? I'd love to get rid of them
and stop the invasion of moles in my yard. Presumably the moles are
looking for the insects.

http://photos.imageevent.com/eigenve...e/P8120119.JPG

hard to tell by the picture, but if it were digger bees, or ants also, I
would think if you just sat nearby and watched for 10 minutes activity
would be seen.

Lar

Tried that, nada. Perhaps they're early morning or dusk creatures?

Well I dug around in the dirt with a shovel and at the very least uncovered
what WASN'T in the hole.

It wasn't ants, looked like large metallic green flies. They came
barrelling out of the hole at a pretty good clip - one per hole, so I didn't
get a good look at them. Might have been a wasp, but looked too burly to be
a wasp. didn't have an obvious thin waistline - but again I didn't get a
good look at them.

It may of been just an emergence of some sort of beetle or cicada type
creature.

Lar